Sign in to follow this  
GT6Steve

81 Stinkin Corvette

WooHoo!  After ignoring it for years I fired up the plastic pickup truck yesterday and have been hooning about all weekend!  Damn this piece of garbage is fun!  That Chevy engine is just magnificent and it's roadhandling failures just add to the fun.  Stop me before I get busted for no legal registartion! 

Didn't one of the Corvette models have a transverse rear spring? I take it, from your comment Steve, that the '81 has a cart spring on each side?

Our 69 Stingray has a traverse leaf spring, i know they all did prior too, not sure about more modern, however the design is much better than the triumph design.

It actually handles pretty damn good apart from the front lifting at speed.

Guess who got busted this morning for no registration??  Actually stopped for speeding but the cop was a car guy and let me go on that.

This has the transverse spring as well.    It is a very crude suspension and loves throttle oversteer so it's a bit tricky at the limits.  I have a GRP spring to go in but haven't gotten around to it.  

You're a very naughty boy.

There's something to be said for having a fallback position for five 0 when pulled up in a classic.

My mg ran with the front plate under the drivers seat for about 5 years. I had at least 3 occasions when a speeding fine or worse got wound down to a simple sub $50 fine for no front plate. ;-)

Glad to see you having a little hell raising fun.

C

Would you believe I almost got it again coming back from lunch.  Motorcycle cop watched me roll by as I gave my best scrubbing off speed gently impression.  I better be good for a while, the full moon has all the coppers awake...

We have a 330lb fibreglass spring in the rear, can't say i've noticed the rear end kick out, but then im too scared to floor it these days after blowing the diff last time i did it.

I've got the heavy Gymkhana spring in mine at the moment so it may be a factor.  I purchased the softer GRP spring but haven't put it in yet.