Wheel Alignment Spit 1500

Fellow motorheads:

I have a 1500 with a K-series fitted.

195-50-15 wheels/tires and "everything" is adjustable so I can more or less get whatever I need.

Front:

Toe in 30 min?

Camber -1 degree?

Rear:

Neutral toe?

Neutral camber?

i am looking for a car that handels neutral even at high speed turns

well the figs you list will only be a start point(unless you hit it spot on by luck and cannot improve it further,if so buy a lottery ticket too)

any deviation from standard ie,wheel and tyre sizes,lowered springs,thicker a/roll bars etc will mean experimentation to achieve the best set up.

have you read the current running thread about understeer on here?more advice about settings etc there.

With 50 profile tyres you may struggle with the rear, the camber changes are just too high. 

But you are in the correct ballpark for settings. I have all 4 wheels with 1-2mm of toe in. and 2 degrees neg camber. Good on track, as bove, understeer issues on autosolos.

Agree with above!

How broad are your wheels?    A 195 tread is nearly 8" across; mount that on any rim that will fit in an (unmodified) Triumph wheelarch and it's like balancing a pyramid on its point - the tyre is unstable.

Couple that with the camber change that zetec mentions and your tyres are all over the place.

IMHO the highest to go is 185/60 (just over 7" of tread) on 6J rims, but also limit camber change as much as possible.  A 1500 will have a swing spring, which is a good start, but get the stiffest spring you can, and match that to a stiffer front ARB

John

john I assume you are converting the metric 195 to imperial to get the 8"?

this is not true.

a 195 tyre will only be 195 on its tread face for a 50 aspect ratio tyre,this is down to how it is measured,a tyre that is above 50% will have a higher sidewall but less distance across the tread face,the higher you go the narrower the tread.

esxefi,

The "50" of a tyre sidewall is there to express the height of the side wall as a proportion of the tread width, as a per centage.

Not the other way around.

That is how a tyre is measured, expressed and written,  tread width, wall ratio, wheel size

There is no sliding scale, it's a direct comparison.   As you say, "the higher you go [ in the % number] the narrower the tread"    is correct, but you place the wrong interpretation on it.

A tyre 195 x 50 13, will have a tread about 7.6" wide, and a side wall about 4" high, and will fit a 13" rim.

John

Edited by JohnD