Wheel Studs

I have the LR 9037L studs in the front hub. With the minilite replicas everything is fine.

Since a time I have steel wheels. Much thinner at the mounting area. Unfortunately now the unthreaded part of the studs protrudes out of the hub, so that it is not possibe  to tighten the wheels.

o.k. I removed a bit of thread from inside the wheelnut, but I do not like that solution, as the top uf the wheelnut gets thin and compressed.

So looking for other wheelstuds with longer threaded area, as butting more thread on the LR ones was strongly disapproved by experts.

I found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x8-12x1-5-65mm-LONG-ALLOY-WHEEL-HUB-STUD-WHEEL-STUDS-FORD-OTHERS-/151333130666?hash=item233c2851aa#ht_2616wt_1256

But only 13mm spline diameter.

Any thoughts?

Martin

Eh....?  The main reason for using the Freelander studs is that unlike most of the others, they have thread almost to the splined part so don't (usually!) suffer from the problem you mention.

Might be worth looking at the nuts.  You mention removing a bit of thread from inside the wheel nut.  Some nuts have a slight counterbore by design.  Also, you get various different cone sizes and angle which will affect how far into the wheel the nut goes before clamping it, which could be another way of solving the same problem.

Nick

Today I was fitting Freelander wheel studs to the Spitfire (actually GT6 front suspension) and noticed this........

P1130951s.jpg

Out of a bag of 16 studs identified as CLP 9037, 14 were like the two on the left (correct) and threaded almost to the splines. However the two on the right are clearly different (and wrong!) and actually match the huge collection of R100/MGF studs I have removed from the hubs because the threads don't go close enough to the splines.

Seems looking around on the 'net you see both types described with this part number which I don't think is correct.  The correct OE LR ones are threaded all the way down.  You'll also find CLP9037L listed, but it is not clear whether these are different in any way and again you'll find pictures of both styles against that number.

When fitted, the fully threaded ones look like this

P1130952s.jpg

Clearly what is needed for steel wheels, though the others will work ok for some alloys.

Nick

• 2 years later...

Has any one managed to obtain the m12 x 1.5 studs with full length thread?

I purchased set for front (Rear MGF hub has full length threads) the image on the web site (product CLP9037L) indicated the full length thread but alas arrived ...thread cut short...

Wondering if any one has been able to locate a suitable reliable supplier of these studs?

Don't forget when using longer 12mm Studs, to either use non closed nuts, or to very very carefully check that the studs aren't bottoming out in the nuts. This will happen if the long Freelander Studs are used with a number of the closed nuts on steel rims.  I always have one nut with either the cover removed or the head machined off so that I can check, also helps scrutineers check that you have 1.5 x thread diameter depth of thread location.

Alan

Edited by oldtuckunder

As further up this thread, CLP9037L Landrover Freelander mk1 studs should be fully threaded.

Some suppliers confuse them with the non-fully threaded version used on R100/Metro and MGF (dunno what the part number is for those*) and mis-supply, even to the extent of mixing the two types in the same bag.

If you ordered CLP9037L and get only partially threaded ones you need to contact the supplier and explain the error of their ways......

Nick

*Edit: MGF / R100 studs are P/no. FAM8419 - very similar apart from threaded length - probably no good for most wheels but if you want some I have lots of used ones......