Who's A Lucky Boy Then? (.alt. Cv Tuning For Beginners)

pomwah

Most of you that read this will be aware that I have been less than prolific on the site lately, seems there may have been a cause (or maybe not) for this dereliction of duty. :yes:

........ a miserable headache/neck-ache combination, various attempts at stopping the pain, analgesics, massage, anti-inflammatories, nup, still painful, I think I've done something to my neck.

On the sixth day, I went to the quack, he does the usual tests, concludes it's musculoskeletal in origin and prescribes diclofenac. Just to cover all bases he sends me for a CT to eliminate sinister "goings-on" in my head.

The next day I'm home from the CT at 3:00pm, I get a call from the GP a bit after 5:00pm. "Do you feel any different from yesterday?", he asks, "no", "any symptoms, dizziness, weakness, double-vision?", again "no" I reply, "mmmm, you've had a stroke ....pause", "OK", I say, "what next?", "can you come and see me tomorrow at 3:15pm?", "sure, I'll see you then", say I. Terminate the call.

That's the edited version, it was a little more drawn out than that, but it conveys the general content and tone of the conversation.

The "good lady" and I go and see the the GP I got, by chance, for the "no notice" appointment and he doesn't know me at all. We have a chat, he tells me, again, I've had a stroke and repeats the tests he did on Monday, no change. No symptoms. I'm pretty much the classic atypical stroke "victim" who bumbles along and, probably, would have had a more devastating cerebrovascular "event" (I don't think of them as accidents) sometime down the track. I think the doc was a little taken aback by my, "OK, it is what it is let's get on with it" reaction to the news.

The facts.
An ischaemic CV event that has left a 3cm patch of dead brain in its wake.
It happened some time ago, long enough, weeks or months even, for any marginal impairment to disappear, for all intents and purposes it's as if it never happened.

Stop me if I'm preaching to the converted here. Because I have had a stroke, desirable BP $ LDL/HDL & triglyceride levels drop, (except HDL which goes up of course, gotta love those lipids :wub: ), hence the new pharmaceutical regimen, more investigations are about to commence, blood tests, carotid doppler ultrasound, a 24Hr ECG (Holter) test, and so on.

In the absence of a definitive diagnosis I'm on a combination of a statin compound and aspirin (to lower cholesterol and thin the blood, respectively).

I feel fine, to be honest, I feel more energised now than I have in a long while. So, who's a lucky boy then?  ........ Me. :banana:

Edit: Just re-read this and realised I have put "classic" and "atypical" in the same sentence and referring to the same subject, :DOH

Edited by pomwah

Jazuz!

Life's rich tapestry, and all that.

Glad you're ok.  I've been killing as many brain cells as possible for a long time with red wine, but I'v always hoped I'm getting the slow ones and conducting a controlled cull.

Keep at it.

C.

:unsure: Well, that's all a bit scary James.  The positive I take from all this  is that you are still here, apparently functionally undamaged, and will be tested and drugged up as needed from now on....... (God help you....!)

Was the stiff neck considered to be related in the end, or just something coincidental?  If I'm losing a 3cm patch of brain every time I get a stiff neck, I ran out some years back  :blink:

You need to get on with that car btw!

Nick

I refer you to the buffalo theory, well ok its about beer, but im sure its just your body improving its own efficiency... :P

<a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://www.iptaust.com.au/images/Cliff%20Clavin"href="http://www.iptaust.com.au/images/Cliff%20Clavin" s%20buffalo%20theory.jpg"="">http://www.iptaust.com.au/images/Cliff%20Clavin's%20Buffalo%20Theory.JPG

Edited by mattius

Thank you gents.

Yes, still here and apparently unaffected. I'm still in the testing process, Carotid Doppler "ultrasound" today, all good.  By the end of next week I will have had the full suite of test and the medicos and, hopefully, I will know more. Enough to make a differential diagnosis, make some kind of prognosis and start me on "the" pharmaceutical regimen. It's all a bit up in the air pro tem.

The thinking is that the headache is musculoskeletal in origin, I'm just lucky the wife had me move some furniture, just a bit of serendipity! Must buy a lottery ticket, or maybe I've used up all my luck for the next little bit.

I will be getting on with the car, there's more incentive now, I really want to enjoy it before "stuff" gets in the way and they want to de-license me.

Cheers

Edit: Always thought Cliff was wiser than they made out. :)

Edited by pomwah

Well, all the best for your dealings with the medics!

As it seems you wouldn't even know you'd had a stroke but for the musculo-skeletal twinges one can only speculate how many of us are wandering around with "dead patches" following silent strokes or the occasional ethanol overdose......

Nick

• 1 month later...

"Say, Pooh, why aren’t you busy?†I said.

"Because it’s a nice day," said Pooh.

"Yes, but—-"

"Why ruin it?" he said.

"But you could be doing something Important," I said.

"I am," said Pooh.

"Oh? Doing what?"

"Listening," he said.

"Listening to what?"

"To the birds. And that squirrel over there."

"What are they saying?" I asked.

"That it’s a nice day," said Pooh.

"But you know that already," I said.

"Yes, but it’s always good to hear that somebody else thinks so, too," he replied…

- The Tao of Pooh, Benjamin Hoff

'Tis indeed a nice day, and, apparently, I'm as fit as a Mallee bull. Nothing untoward found, everything within normal ranges. Just one of those things .... now, about that Melbourne chapter meeting......