Sign in to follow this  
SteveA

A Series 850 Camchain Rattle

I've been working on a 1975 Mini 850 recently and the noise from the cam chain seems pretty loud to me (certainly compared to a GT6) but the trouble is that I don't know if it usual for these engines or if something is worn.

From what I can work out, there is no tensioner against the side of the chain, but instead a pair of rubber discs around the cam pully. The noise is worse at the crankshaft end of the timing cover.

So do we strip it down or is it a case of 'they all do that sir'?

A series are fairly notorious for rattly timing chains.  The rubber ring "tensioner" is a bit of a joke.  Changing the chain will shut it up for a short while.  I heard that they can eat their way through the cover if left long enough...... Some of them (later ones, larger capacity ones - I'm not sure without looking it up?) have a proper tensioner arrangement.  This can be retro fitted I think but likely involves a different front plate, different cover and so on.

Nick

PS: I did a little google research but was deflected by the number of hits I was getting for timing chain issues with the BMW Minis.  Didn't realise how big a problem that was.  Modern cars, especially modern German (BMW, Merc, Audi) cars seem to be afflicted with all manner of crappy design issues leading to serious engine failures at low mileages with predictably poor responses from the dealers/manufacturers.  Timing chain issues occurring well inside the change interval for a belt.  Kind of ironic when the reason for going back to chains was to eliminate the troublesome belt.....