Chris's Mkiv Basket Case restored to glory

So here's another thought for you all.  Given that the (current) thinking is that head needs to survive perhaps 9 months / 4k miles tops, why not use a lead substitute of the Castrol Valvemaster (other potions exist!) to halt or at least slow the progression.......?

The only concern I can see is that it may turn out to be bad for the O2 sensor.

Probably ought to think about additive for the GT6 too as the head on that has had exactly the same treatment as the Spitfire one had - and it has no O2 sensor to worry about.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back together tonight and fired up first pull. Sounds happy enough. Ran it until the fan cut in.  Probably re-torque the head at the weekend when it’s done a few heat cycles..... Fuel pressure re

Nope..... something rather less sporty.     As a 1300 (which is what we have here) it makes 84 bhp, though I reckon it wouldn’t take much to pick up a few more (exhaust manifold is plain nasty

Posted Images

Hello Nick

I have know idea what valvemaster will do to the O2 sensor

But wondering why it has happened fast now assuming the lad does not Thrash the car(hard to believe knowing what we were all like at that age!)

But lots of people have done thousands of miles on unleaded seats but on Carbs?

Now just wondering now it runs on EFI and probably leaner most of the time so does that mean the exhaust gas is hotter?

If so that could be the reason for it (well part of the reason!)

Roger

ps so does that mean running richer and more expensive would have been cheaper?

I going to run the Vitesse on unleaded seats but with Valvemaster  added but there is no O2 sensor but was thinking of welding a boss onto the new exhaust but would only use it for setting!

Perhaps an Email to Mr Castrol would be in order?

Been talking to Mr Castrol. He doesn’t know..... though he’s promised to find out. That was this morning and he’s been silent since. There are various technologies based on different metals. Castrol is phosphorus and says it’s not cat safe. There’s a Wynns one based on potassium that says it is and Morris do one based on manganese and they say nothing.

May be worried about nothing as the zinc in engine oil is supposedly bad for them but the Vitesse one has survived since 2009 in spit of massive oil burning up to 2015.

Doesn’t really thrash it, though as a weedy 1300 you are inevitably using a fair bit of throttle a fair bit of the time. Probably lean cruise and high exhaust temperatures contributed. Also that I had to grind the valves extensively to get some approach to a decent seal seal most of any lead memory will have been removed.

Hello Nick

I think the head I have would just need a lick to get a passable seats

To be honest you can have the head as it is only a door stop to me now but I would expect a few wine tokens for the valves and guides.

Roger