Josh's Mk1 Pi

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry I missed that. Yeah I have the PI still, don't think I'll ever get rid of it. It has been off the road for over three years now. But in that time I have rebuilt it to decent fast road spec, 2.5" exhaust, put in a Subaru LSD, RX7 front brakes, converted the dash to MK2 steering column and gauges, race drivers seat and Alfa GTV passenger and probably lots Ive forgotten. I have driven it as I had to move it to move house and a few quick fangs up the road, it goes like the clappers now but as anything off the road for that long needs work. I will pull my finger out and get it registered again soon as it doesn't need much, but now I am thinking more seriously about megasquirting it. I think I like tinkering on it more than driving it anyway lol. But alas, now I have gotten into Subarus and BOOST so I have another car that takes all my time. I eventually want to put a turbo on the Triumph now, hence the EFI thoughts.

DSC_0177.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0179.JPG

DSC_0180.JPG

This is how it sounds now. The engine was rebuilt .030" overbore, multi angle valve job/ back cut valves, 10.5:1 compression, lighter flywheel, newman 300/280 cam same as Nick and Andy use and had previously been balanced. I had it re-balanced with the new clutch. It does go hard with bulk mid range torque but not so much top end as it seemed to to have before- I have advanced the cam timing, I think I went too far. Also I dont think my distributor gives enough high end advance. I like the idea of EFI where I can change anything i like with a few key strokes.

So you have been busy........ :smile:

Is that an R180 long nose diff? Or R200?

When I mentioned forced induction for my Vitesse to a gent who knows a thing or two about it, his observation was that it’s always a good idea to start with a basic engine which has decent reserves of strength.....

Electronic engine management is still very nice to have though. Makes monitoring and adjustments so easy!

Hey Nick its just an R160, so probably not so strong, but they are cheap and plentiful at least.

As for forced induction I know there is a guy on the net that has had a turbo'd TR6 for years with a drawthrough SU setup and water/ meth injection for charge cooling. Reckons its great. I feel that due to the awesome mid range a turbo gives, even though turbos put more stress on the engine the revs would be able to be kept much lower so overall force would be similar to a tuned NA engine. Its all for fun anyway, will be good to find out one day.

• 8 months later...

Hello Josh, Just read  your reply from 8th July on. Interesting what you have done and are planning to do (hope your new interest dosn't distract you too much). Did you do anything on the axle end of the driveshaft ? My brother (TR4A) and myself  (TR6) both have SERIOUS troubles there and the trailing arms. His l/h items both failed  causing a roll and severe damage to his right hand. (checked the r/h trailing arm and it is cracked as well).Thank goodness for a good roll bar!  Was replacing the uni-joints in mine and found a badly damaged axle and cracked trailing arm l/h side so far... Regards,Michael. (still thing your car is great)

The main known issue with the trailing arms On the IRS cars is the failure of the stud threads in the alloy. This usually shows up when doing repairs on other things and catastrophic failures are rare, tending to follow on from horrible bodge repairs.

The shafts fail in various ways but the scariest is the breakage of the outer section just behind the hub, leaving you surfing on three wheels with no brakes (maybe some brakes in the dual circuit Australian market).  Hazard goes up on high mileage (fatigue) and recon units. There are various aftermarket solutions that eliminate the weak point, many also involving CV joints.

I am loving this thread apart from the part about taking the amazing Joe 90 dash out and putting in a plank.:huh::confused:

The dash and nose of the Mk1  are the two things that mean owning a Mk2 will never be on my agenda.

But a Stag is a different beast all together.:smile:

Keep up the great work

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...