Electric Fan

So I was all ready to buy a Pacet - to them find out they've been bought by Kenlowe.

So can anyone recommend a decent electric fan for my Spitfire?

I'm always conscious that this is quite an important item as failure means overheating.

James

I've got some Italian thing that came from my local radiator centre.  It was skinny enough to fit the Vitesse and very reasonably priced.  I expected it to last 13 months, but it must have been on 9 or 10 years now.  Not sure I can identify a brand......

Nick

Spal are OE quality (used by merc, or at least my Dads old merc had them fitted from the factory)

Had a bosch one from a R5 GT turbo on my vitesse for all the time I used it, very good and came mounted on a wire frame that I bent to fit the vitesse rad. French cars seem to have decent fans, no idea why.....

Dear all,

I use a Spal that fits like a glove behind the radiator of my 2.5PI. It accually almost cover the whole of the radiator core. Same fan is used on the Berlinetta Boxer in a pair. Talking of fans, could the horrid original fan as it is mounted directly on the crank cause some of the thrust bearing concern? Aircraft engines have really sturdy thrust bearings.

Dear all,

I use a Spal that fits like a glove behind the radiator of my 2.5PI. It accually almost cover the whole of the radiator core. Same fan is used on the Berlinetta Boxer in a pair. Talking of fans, could the horrid original fan as it is mounted directly on the crank cause some of the thrust bearing concern? Aircraft engines have really sturdy thrust bearings.

well that is a thought.

I think it has been mentioned before??

I can see the logic of the reverse thrust from the fan acting upon the thrust bearing but surely it must be minimal when you compare the almost constant load friction to that of a big end bearing shell for example.

there is a 'slight' ;)  difference in the amount of air shifted in an aircraft prop to that of an engine cooling fan,the former is the primary form of propulsion whereas the latter is to dissipate heat from the cooling system  by a proxy means of the same but there is an interrelation from a physics point of view.

Hello James,

I've had very good service with the Kenlowe fan fitted to my car, albeit that in normal circumstances it rarely switches in. I'm no aerodynamacist but their blades look as though some thought has gone into the design. They may seem expensive but you also get a good 30A thermostat  as part of the package.

Alec

Hello fast driver,

Still, compared to other small six cylinder engines that almost never fail their thrust bearings the only major difference is the crank mounted fan on the Triumph engine.

If you put an asortment of the thrust bearings on a table and ask, point out the ones that will fail, it will be a guessing game.

As long as the engine is running it will pull the crank, assume that the horrid original fan absorbs 3 HP at 5000 rpm, is that a minimal force? A full grown man with a bar behind the damper could hardly copy that.

A aircraft puts the full engine load it has on the fan to push forward.

That can easily achieve 100 HP on a small Cessna.

We deal with fans that take below 6 HP on full load

So the major problem of our cars putting axial load on is the clutch pedal.

What always should be paid attention on is the imbalance of the fan

especially because it is often far on the front of the engine.

Hello Nick,

there is another Britsh six cylinder engine that uses the same thrust washer arrangement, albeit on the centre main rather than the rear, this is the Jaguar XK engine. I am not aware of any problems with XK engines due to thrust washers despite just having half circle bearings.

Alec

• 1 month later...