Honda Insight 2000-2005 1.0 Hybrid

CHRIS211083

Ok so I'm thinking of buying a Honda Insight 1.0 hybrid. Currently looking at these two.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201334689285?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Insight-Hybrid-Electric-1-0-80mpg-Free-Tax-New-Stock-49k-Low-Mileage-MOT-/261852245341?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=5KL%252FW7x%252FD6qaXqjyOcc7Ni0inKo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I've been looking at Aero dynamic mods for my T6. However the more I look into it the harder is becomes to maintain looks and performance while trying for mpg too. I currently get 45-55mpg. The new engine should get about 40-50mpg if i'm lucky so the thought is to get another car. The honda Insight is tax free and gets between 60 and 90mpg depending on driving and weather conditions. I'm thinking of using it to cover the milage as the Spitfire is getting quite corroded on the door hinges etc. Whats peoples thoughts and has any one had any experience with them???

Cheers Chris.

Not sure what the battery situation is with the Insight, but generally something to be wary of with hybrids.  They have finite life and are very expensive to replace.  Insight supposed to be very well made and all sold at a loss (!).  I have great respect for Honda engineering and built standards.  Can't say I'm very keen on the styling in this case!

Nick

I think the styling is dominated by function. I like this as it really gets the job done aero dynamics wise and mpg wise. The only other car in the same price bracket capable of the same mpg(better actually) is the last model shape of reliant Robin at 60-100mpg. I had a reliant robin 9 years ago and loved its simplicity. I use to get 60mpg @ 90mph!!!!!  Car was almost flat out, I did mod it slightly but I think EFI would give even more. The reliant engine weight is 56kg 850cc. Crazy. However the insight already has efi etc. 

The batteries are guaranteed for 10 years but last for 15. I have not got a quote for replacement ones yet but it will be expensive. However It still out performs almost all cars on the road currently for bag per buck. Also I had to replace the seat in the reliant robin as they are half back seats. The list for improvements for the robin grows as does the cost. So the Honda Insight looks the strongest at the mo.

Chris.

If you just want cheap motoring then I'd suggest looking at a mk1 Toyota yaris.  I recently got rid of an early diesel one which had £30 road tax.  It was very similar to this: http://goo.gl/imW2sA  I bought it as an appliance/money saving device and ended up loving it.  Drove it flat out everywhere and got 55-70 mpg (diesel) depending upon use.  Parts were really cheap. Ended up needing a bigger car, but until that was required I planned to keep it until it fell apart.  Only thing I didn't like was the lack of ventilation - no rear windows and no AC meant it was like an oven, even at motorway speeds with the windows down.

Honda Insight has air con, has good ventilation and get more mpg than the yaris. Its also got the power of a 1.5 thanks to the hybrid system. It costs more but I think the cheap old yaris cars will have been trashed. These Insights not so much as they were quite expensive. The Honda is also a petrol. I hate Diesels.

Chris.

Another thought is the 1.4 HDI PUG 206 i got my latest one with 55,000 miles for £1100 it costs £30 a year tax and I do around 300 motorway miles a week getting just over 80mpg and about 100 around town and in traffic and still get around 50mpg 

really cheap motoring