Sign in to follow this  
JohnD

Great Drives - Europe And The World

There are Great Drives outside the UK, which we can think about visiting one day.

Here's the place to record your own trip down a Great Drive outside the UK.

Please give an ID for the road, or the towns/villages at the start and finish

Even better, a video.

But for many roads in Europe, Streetview on Google Maps or Google Earth can give you a good idea of what it's really like.

JOhn

A Great Drive, Gerard!

I'll raise you that whole Trieste to Dubrovnik coast road!      I did it, once all the way and once only part, via Zagreb and Sarajevo.  But I'll see you with the next bit.

We continued on down the coast trying to get to Scutari, in Albania, but were stopped at the border, so turned around northeast via Titograd (now Podgorica), then a mountain road to Andrijevica that cut off a big loop to Bijelo Polje to the north, then south east to Pec (Peja), Prizren and Skopje, thence south to Thessaloniki and Greece, our destination.   No, we weren't in a London bus and I didn't have Una Stubbs with me.

The 'short cut' road to Adrijevica and from there to Pec were the worst roads I have ever been on, hacked out of the mountainside with more hairpins than the Furka Pass and surfaced with rubble, rutted by the giant lorries that used it, like us, as a 'short cut' and with not a single guardrail in sight to protect anyone from thousands of feet of drop.

I'd post the route like you did, but even Google's camera vans haven't been along those roads, forty five years later!

JOhn

In November 2012 we arrived at the car hire joint in LA only to discover that the convertable section of the forecourt was covered with nothing but Chrysler Sebrings.  A neatly folded, offered and palmed 50 saw this gleaming red 1236 mile old mustang arrive in the only spare slot.

1829.JPG

After a few days on the L.A. freeways, it tackled California 1.  L.A. to Monterey with an overnight in Cannery Row, then Monterey to San Fran the next day.  Genuinely awesome drive.  Car wasn't as good on the last day, front brakes pulsated under load.  May have had something to do with my "This should be fun" attitude to Big Sur.  Front rotors were cherry red when we stopped for snacks at the bottom.  It handled like a whale, but a big, lovely predictable whale.

It was one of those drives I've always wanted to do, it was an awesome drive and awesome fun.   Next time I'm in the States, I want to do it again going the other way.

C.