Nick Jones

Change Of Address

Part of moving house is letting everybody know where you've gone.  Some are easy, some are much easier when your internet is working (!!) and some are a pain.

One that should have been easy is letting the car insurance companies know.  The Vitesse was easy.  I rang them, they took down the new address and that was all.

Direct Line however......

My A6 and Chris' Arosa are both with Direct Line.  I rang them earlier to inform them of our move.  We are now in a very small village, last but one house on a no through road, but still only about a mile from the A303.  Actually very similar to where we were before except the last village was bigger and we have a proper driveway here.

The A6 insurance was about 5% less on premium (better area apparently), which partly offset the £16 "admin fee" (bandits!).  I moaned about this and was told that this would then cover both amendments. The Arosa however was about £ 70 more because of the"higher risk area"......  This on an £1100 policy for a £ 500 car.  

Eh?  Lower risk for the A6, but higher risk for the Arosa...... both at the same address and they both came from the same address......... does not compute captain!

I argued with 3 different people for about 30 minutes (I'm a stubborn cantankerous b'stard in my middle age).  

"It's system led sir"

"Then there's a problem with your system, by my calculation, you should be refunding me £53 'cause that's the same percentage you gave me on the A6 for the same address change"

"It's because there is a higher risk of your son speeding from the new address"

"What? - That's for the police to worry about, and anyway, we've moved about 4 miles, and both places are about a mile from the same A303 junction so hard to see how you could reach that conclusion"

Totally nuts.  Got them down to £27 eventually, including the admin fee.  Oh wait, the first lady said that was included in my first admin fee.......

They wouldn't budge on that and I needed my valium.......  I did lodge a formal complaint though.   Bandits!

Nick

(Grumpy old git)

It's far too often a losing battle attempting to talk sense to people sat in front of computers.  I figure it's always worth a try though and by the sounds of it you earned £86/hr doing so you're quids in. 

Probably.  Haven't had one this year and it's not looking that likely in the foreseeable future.  Actually I prefer retirement though unclear how that would be funded......

Today direct line have invited me to comment on my complaint via text!  Sod that!  I told 'em if they really wanted to know they could ring me (!) or give me an email address to write to.  They haven't so far.

Nick

Retirement. Quite looking forward to that but, even though I seem on face value to be reasonably secure, I can't help but feel it'll all be whipped out from under my feet at the last minute by some 'maxwell-esque' pension fund shennannigans and i'll be cycling to work until i'm 70...

Insurers and their elected call centres. My 'revenge' may be to make my retirement career that of a call centre operative for said insurers and sticth 'em up from the inside :)