My Spitfire

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/14/2019 at 8:45 PM, spitfire6 said:

Hi,

Anybody running a mineral 20W50 oil in their daily Triumph? Interested in a miller oil check to compare?

Cheers,

Iain.

friend does a lot of miles in his 13/60. And that runs off straight 30 oil (out the tap where he works) and has done for the last 150K.

Would that be of any use? not sure when he last did an oil change. And the car doesn't get driven hard, just every single day. For the last 20+ years. And runs on lpg.

Hi,

fitted an oil/air separator with drain back to the sump.

I know it looks "spawn of gash". Thanks.   I will order some HC safe silicone hose & attempt to get rid of all the inline fittings I used as could not find a long piece of 1/2" ID hose.

I am taking the hopefully dry air + HC from the engine via the separator & piping it to the idle control valve.

Filtered air to the engine is from the plenum and piped into the top of the rocker box in usual place.

My idle speed has not changed so I guess I am taking the max HC + air mix possible at idle?

Off idle I assume I have a lot of gas flow thru the engine? Too much and I need to fit a PCV valve somewhere?

I have an idle control valve (3 wire & TSO) that I could fit to a spare inlet on the separator to control internal engine absolute pressure? Do I need to bother? 

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Iain.

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

2 hours ago, spitfire6 said:

Hi,

fitted an oil/air separator with drain back to the sump.

I know it looks "spawn of gash". Thanks.   I will order some HC safe silicone hose & attempt to get rid of all the inline fittings I used as could not find a long piece of 1/2" ID hose.

Iain.

My fellow simian!

You are too modest.    I would have waffled on about "doubled flame arrestors" and the speed of gas aspiration, or something.    Is there anything in the can, or is it just a condensor?

John

Hi,

I thought it was funny enough in a picture. LOL

Quite small, hence the need for a straight drain back.

I left the machined & perforated plate fitted to accelerate the lighter O2 molecules to increase combustion efficiency at all speeds and humidity levels.

The sintered bronze deal would cost more than they sell for.

Cheers,

Iain. 

IMG_1591.jpg

Hi,

opened the filter to check. Oil is going into it. Flow is splashing it over the aluminium alloy holed acceleration plate.

The bottom nipple extends into the vessel by around 2mm. Hence the oil in the pictures.

Will the constant flow of fluids into the vessel fill it with liquid before I stop for refuel on the motorway after 100 miles?

I don't want it spraying liquid over the sintered bronze deal.

Could it ever fill up & make a smoke screen?

I don't know if I have enough flow at WOT. Would the fluid that exits the fuel pump aperture be restricted by the manual ICV at WOT?

Electronic manometer down the dipstick tube?

Cheers,

Iain.

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

• 10 months later...

Hi Iain,

Do you intend to run 6 vacuum lines to a "vacuum chamber" and hook the map sensor up to that?

I don't know which ecu you're running, but some can look at the map sensor at a specific crank angle, meaning you would only need a take-off from one runner.

Very cleaver idea with the allen plugs, do you know what thread size they are?

If you're looking to use an IACV and feed the air in via the circled areas, or via tappings below the standard ports as suggested above, you would then the rear air valve would be superfluous and you could use that as the take off point for the MAP.

Edited by iani

2 hours ago, spitNL said:

Hi Iain,

Do you intend to run 6 vacuum lines to a "vacuum chamber" and hook the map sensor up to that?

I don't know which ecu you're running, but some can look at the map sensor at a specific crank angle, meaning you would only need a take-off from one runner.

Very cleaver idea with the allen plugs, do you know what thread size they are?

Hi,

I was looking at 3x MAP sensors. Connected passive or active to give the sum/3. I really despise the idea of pneumatic tubing or chambers, would rather it was all electronic as it does not have to be intrinsically safe.

My Emerald K3 does not have an angle/MAP function.

I do have function where I can select a totally different map depending on throttle position. IE MAP at low throttle positions and TPS getting onto WOT. No true blend facility.

The vertically mounted plug sizes are unknown to me. I wish my fuel rail did not mask them as I have spare blanking plugs and nipples.

Cheers,

Iain.

2 hours ago, iani said:

If you're looking to use an IACV and feed the air in via the circled areas, or via tappings below the standard ports as suggested above, you would then the rear air valve would be superfluous and you could use that as the take off point for the MAP.

Hi Ian,

I am also looking at IACV so i can drop the devils Spawn idle control AKA "Idle stabilisation using ignition advance". For now I want to locate a vacuum(s) source to provide a MAP source for engine control, presently I am 100% TPS. Remembering the Lucas PI metering unit that was throttle controlled and not MAP controlled has convinced me that even in electronic format, is still crap for a work car. Maybe good on a race car who knows.

Cheers,

Iain.

Hi,

found a couple of cheap 1/4"NPT "MAP" sensors. Fit them on 3&4.
The specs show that if I wire them in series I will have a scale of 15PSIA & a range of 0.5V to 4.5V @ 5VDC.

8.5mm hole & tap? No hoses.

I will keep looking for cheaper 1/4" 15PSIA 5V sensors but it is hard work.If I can find them cheap enough I will buy six of the little beasts & parallel them.

Cheers,

Iain.

psia.PNG

59 minutes ago, spitNL said:

Hi Iain,

I don't think wiring them in series will work.
If you want to solve this electronically you would need to make something like this:

http://www.synchromap.com/ 

Thanks. Interesting read.

The reason for serial connection was a simple and easy passive way to get my 15 PSIA for 4.5V.

I think they would work if source impedance was low and balanced & load impedance very high?

Active buffers would be better of course because a low pass filter can be added. 

The synchromap is only summing the 4 MAPS and providing a fix low pass filter? I cannot see much on the board.

Multiply MAPs & an active board seems the way forward. Now armed with a scope you can spend days syncing the butterflies.

Happy days.

Iain.

PS. Off to look at the other links.