Some handy tools

Since I had these out, and probably inspired by NColl's pics,  I've snapped a couple of handy tools I've made to facilitate the engine work.

First is a handle for installing the dizzy drive gear.  I'm particular about how the wires are routed so it takes a few tries sometimes to get it right.  This handle helps.  It's just a little 6-32 screw that screws into a shallow hole drilled and tapped into the gear shaft.  Be careful not to drill the retaining pin!

New60engine116.jpg

New60engine119.jpg

Next is a treasure that's comes in for disassembly.  Especially valuable on a hot engine still in the car.  It's a washer lifter to catch those hot, oily and stuck down head stud washers when pulling the head.  After all the nuts are off this thing slides over the stud and picks up the washer.  Quick and they don't drop into crevices.  It's just small rod magnets pressed into a handle.

New60engine121.jpg

New60engine124.jpg

Last pic, I didn't build these but they are handles for the feeler gauges used on the valve train.  Since I use them a lot these two feeler gauges are easy to find and easy to use.  The colour coding helps too.  Red for exhaust, blue for intake.

New60engine127.jpg

Steve

Nice thread idea, Steve!

May I offer some?

A tool for 'wiggling' the gear box into alignmement.   Scrap sheet, with two bolts positioned to engage in the output flange.  'Box in gear, move it to and fro to find where the splines slide into the clutch plate.

Not shown - a long stud or some threaded rod screwed into the top hole of the block for the bell housing to engage on.  Supports the gearbox's weight, so that it doesn't hang on the input shaft.

Replacing the timing cover.   This, bent from stiff wire - coathanger ideal - pulls the tensioning spring flat against the cover while you place it over the chain.   Easily twisted out before the cover is closed.  'A' should be the width of the spring, plus a tiny bit - check on the bench.

John

PS How do you put pics IN the text? J.