Su Hs4 On A Gt6 Mk2?

Nick B.

Hi

I ran across a gt6 today that suffered some carbproblems. Looking at the carbs I began to understand why.

The carbs appeared to be HS4 waxstats (waxstat would explain why the car didn't drive well untill heated properly)

The carblinkage also looked shite.

In short - the best advise I could offer was to call Andrew Turner and ask for a new set of carbs.

Now question is - what kind of carbs to get?

Stick with HS4

Revert to original Strombs (inlet manifold ís the original 308671 stromb manifold)

Get some HS6

It is a cable driven accelerator setup, and the owner is more the kind of plug and play type.

Does the holes on a HS4 match the manifold at all?

Cheers

Nick

HS4 has a different hole pattern to Stromberg - but not very. I think I fitted them by slotting the holes on the carb to match the manifold on one side and drilling and tapping for new stud positions on the other side (I think both Strombergs have the same hand bolt pattern whereas the SUs are opposite hand - but it might be the other way around). As you have SUs fitted then somebody has already got around this - but maybe they bodged it.......

Linkage - not too bad if you have a later 2000/dolomite/Spitfire setup to start with though some modifications are needed.

Which is better? Well, I had very knackered Stroms on the Vitesse for a long while. Always had hot start issues and crappy idle/slow speed running but went really well once it got going. Then I fitted a pair of HIF 4 SUs. Much better starting, good idle and low speed running, but never quite as quick. Fuel economy was much better too. I like HIFs, much better carb than HS series.

Bottom line is that both work fine when correctly fitted and in good condition. For the GT6 only Stromberg was ever factory fitted (I guess you know this).

Originality - Stroms

More power (maybe) - HS6 (or HIF6 / HIF44)

What he has - HS4 (or HIF 4 / HIF 38)

I think sorting the linkage will be a pain whatever........ time for injection :P

Nick

the HS4 and 150 Stromburg both have two hole flanges with the the bolt holes at 1o'clock and 7 o'clock and 11 and 5 but the carb position (front and rear ) is reversed. the Su bolt spacing ( measured diagonally) is 2 11/16 were the Stromburg is 3inch. So definitely not a straight forward swap. An adapter plate would be a simple fix because the bolts holding the plate to the manifold would be 90 degrees from the bolt fastening the carbs. I like the HS6 better for the 2litre than the 175 Stromburg because of its simplicity and variety of needles but they probably have equal ability. These are also 4 bolt flanges. Don't forget bonnet clearance since there is very little and the SUs are taller. I have HS6s on my 2litre gt6 but had 175s for a long time also. As stated above the condition of the carb is the most important factor