Triumph Le Mans T6 1800 Vvc

I was looking for them on the outside, but you meant the switches! I plan on using that style on my spitfire, mainly as it means no rummaging down by your feet to get the key in the ignition :)

Interesting the owner has transferred a very normal plate onto that car. He must be a very over-honest owner, it would have been so much better to use an early chassis. Saying that, he hasn't registered the engine swap, probably to save road tax?

Ah yes, see your point. Mine is a very early mkIV spit, so should have plastic dash and earlier switchgear. I guess I could find the appropriate bits, and put a key in the dash, but that would be wrong too. I have no complete early dash (the rats ate that, I jest not, many years before it came into my possession) so I was going to use the stuff out of my rolled spit.....

On a MkIV then it makes sense to have it on the cowling like a 1500

A T6 is meant to be based on an early car though — which would have had a key in the dash.

This kind of car shows how people really shouldn't build their own cars without a lot of thought — you can screw one up so easy — all about the details!

A T6 is meant to be based on an early car though — which would have had a key in the dash.

Unless it is based on a spit mk3, then the anoraks would be perfectly allright with a column mounted ignition.

:yes:

Cheers

Nick

Magnificent, but if you were after one it was a pretty good price I feel. Mind you the prices have probably dropped out of these things since I last looked.

Took me ages to sort the bonnet on my car. A project for a fetter and a fiddler.

• 3 months later...

I bought the T6 & the 2nd owner, who put the 1.8VVC engine in but didn't build the car, delivered it to me for price of petrol covering 230 miles one way. He was as honest as he needed to be as regards selling a car unseen on ebay, I bought it purely because of the price compared to buying a new kit & he put a years mot on it plus had the head gasket upgraded the week it was for sale.

The finish is terrible, electrics terrible, diff knackered, dash a home made cheap effort that just does the job, fit of doors & bonnet terrible, no interior beyond seats & a bit of carpet in the rear & the drivers footwell. As Chris said after seeing it at my house, there is potential for making this a much better car & that's all I'm hoping to achieve. I also have a 1970 chassis etc to assist in the winter body off rebuild & have it registered as such when completed including having the engine change notified to DVLA rather than the Spitfire identity it was based on when 1st built.

I have got it taxed & insured at moment just to see how it goes plus show up what needs sorting regarding the running gear etc. Have to admit it was worth every penny just for the smiles per mile gleaned from the few miles I've driven it & the attention it gets. People can't believe it's a total glassfibre replica at 1st which says a lot about the quality of the body from Graham Pearce as it's just finished in gel coat at moment.

These kits are available to order from Graham Pearce & I believe number 20 is in production at the moment. Google Triumph Spitfire Le Mans T6 & you should find his website. The quality of the glassfibre is reflected in the price, these should be around for as long as the chassis hang out, very well made.

Confusion over, I bought the VVC T6 as advertised on ebay at start of thread. The kit you see on my post is what you get from T6 builder Graham Pearce showing how the car starts out & what you get for your money just in case anybody's interested in one.

You can follow Chis's T6 build on the Triumph Torque Forum, already well on & looking to be a cracker once finished.

• 3 weeks later...

The T6 as bought off ebay in March this year (2012) by myself. Just got it up & running after a lot of suspension work front & rear, electrical wiring is a bit of a nightmare though, really needs a complete rewire & aftermarket ecu etc & next on list.

Been out over past weekend in the car & have to say it goes well with that 1.8VVC engine, being an unknown quantity I won't be going far from the door until all issues with the build addressed, corners have been cut with this build & although it seems a cheap purchase it is double the effort to undo & sort shortcuts/mistakes. I reckon it will cost at least £6K to bring this car up to a good standard & half again to a very high factory finish standard. Only time will tell if this was actually a better buy than starting with a new kit & building a car from scratch.

Replacement dash top, purchased off ebay last week, has just arrived. The original factory dash has been butchered & the one fitted to cover it is not nicely done so a replacement of some sort required when the rewire takes place. Also there is little to no interior, this kit was built to be used & abused not collect any trophies, lots of room for improving in every area & becoming my car at the end of it.

post-1651-0-16293900-1344858589_thumb.jpg

post-1651-0-63659600-1344859442_thumb.jpg

post-1651-0-12952000-1344859453_thumb.jpg