Subaru / Datsun Differential In Spitfire Rear Plate

wbrown53

I run a very similar rear end to the one you've pictured above with my k series spitty. Whilst lots of others may be possible the narrowness of the Subaru diff does mean that it avoids handbrake cable problems.

I run coil overs up into the original top mounts and haven't had any issues.

The body is off the chassis atm, so you're welcome to come and have a proper look if you like.

• 2 months later...

yes i could be.!!..??

I have the gt6 uprights just about to machine to suit MGF, and have Subby 3.54 LSD V, and also got the original stub axles and shafts to suit. (each side is different)

So could be a good solution. will need to check if wrx inner cv splines are all the same?? or do you know?

if i go ahead...Would have pair of Rover 100 + lobros + adaptors for conventional diff as a sale item if this works out. they were not cheap... 

do you have dimensions / spec's and costs to make ?

Are you looking to have std overall length upright to upright ?

I have just spent some time in my (now tidy) garage.

I started by taking inner CV's off some subaru shafts and popping them in a diff. And measured the width from the outer "face" of the inner race when as far out as possible. Made that 375mm.

cvjointdiagram43c46e9748b14798839af6759d

I then measured the face to face width of a triumph diff. Made that 263mm*. Then crawled under the car and measured the thickness of the CV adapter plus the volvo CV. 45mm each as best I can measure. Add 2 of them to the diff, and we have 355mm. Give or take a little.

Now, that is achievable with teh subaru CV, just push in 10mm each. That still leaves about 30-35mm more plunge inwards available. 

It seems, unless I have missed something obvious (and PLEASE point out if I have) that the rover shafts can be used when fitting a subaru diff. No special shafts required (only the rocking horse poo R100 ones) 

Anybody fancy double checking??

* Edited as per lower post 21/07 NJ

Another thing struck me, the subaru diff is not central. I believe the centreline of the backplate is 10-12mm from being central, if that makes sense. So will the shafts still fit? It will be close, but I guess there is only one way to find out! However, that will have to wait until winter......

I am guessing that the custom shafts may be 5mm or so longer as there appears to be plenty of plunge left inwards.

Well i got out from my racks at work my spare old spitfire diff, my 3.54 R160 with shafts and the Cv kit i obtained last year, with MGF CV, Rover 100 shafts, Volvo Lobro , Spacer for Std'Diff.

I removed the Lobro joint from the Rover, and the Scooby shaft from inner CV and assembled rover shaft to Scooby inner CV. 

I measured and marked centre of each Diff, then with one of each shaft fitted, measured to the shoulder of the stub axle of the MGF

Centre to shoulder compressed shaft  /   Extended shaft.

Spitfire Diff 565mm to 578mm

Scooby Diff 545mm to 590mm

Looks like a winner!

20150722 112223 resized 1

As in the splines on the shaft? I doubt it will be a worry. If the scooby shaft uses the same splines and that can cope with a good wallop of grunt (through all 4 wheels though) it should easily cope with most engines. Only one way to ultimately tell, but my zetec will not be a  bother. 

GT6 vertical links machined to fit MGF hubs.

I know this has been covered and the info below is the basis of machining.... back in 2008

Can anyone confirm this is still the accurate machining spec' ?, especially for line 3. 4.5mm to be removed,

and also confirm that in line 4,    "5mm cut from new outside of link" groove for circlip places the bearing 5mm from outside edge???. OR bearing is 5mm + the width of the circlip ? 

Quote...

I found my notes on machining of the vertical link to accept the MGF bearing the other day, so I though I'd add this also.
1. The centre of link needs to be machined through to about 67mm to give an interference fit for the outer race of the new bearing.
2. Inner side of link to be machined out to 86mm to a depth of 10mm to give clearance for the CV joint.
3. Out side of link to be machined down by 4.5mm
4. Outer circlip grooved cut 5mm from new outside of link. Position of inner clip is determined by outer race of bearing (approx 37mm).

Back to diff ratios..... Just been sent a "3.9 viscous diff" by an ebay seller.

It arrived today. I put some dots of old nail varnish (daughters keep chucking it out, but handy for marking stuff up) and check the ratio. 3.54....again......

having looked at the charts online, some specs refer to teh final drive ratio, in this case 3.9 however there is a ratio drop of 1.1 in the transfer box.

So a 3.54 dropped by 1.1 gives you 3.9. B****r

I have just sent the seller a message that the diff is not as described, see what happens.

But be warned, this ratio malarkey is not as easy as it sounds. In fact if the charts are anything to go by, 3.9 is a tricky one to find. I may be sticking with my 3.7 after all.

Perhaps identifying a Suby diff by the white painted code will be more accurate for "our" requirements. I have found many "Suby places/people" identify the diff by the application rather than the actual diff ratio.

I believe the painted code indicates the actual diff ratio and type of diff.

CD --- 4.444 --- Viscous
CF --- 4.444 --- Viscous
EW --- 3.900 --- Viscous
HY --- 3.545 --- Torsen
JE --- 4.111 --- Viscous
T1 --- 3.900 --- None
T2 --- 4.111 --- None
TP --- 4.444 --- None
XJ --- 4.111 --- None
XU --- 3.272 --- Viscous
XZ --- 3.083 --- Viscous

I got this chart from here....  http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/whats-your-rear-differential-94294.html?s=082dcf2461780692bfbc169eb4aff0e9&

Here is a picture of my 2 Suby diffs showing the white paint codes.

The XT is the much fabled "3.08" Suby normal diff.

I wanted this 3.08 ratio but unfortunately it only comes in this type of casing that does NOT allow for the usual fixing of the Triumph transverse spring. Just my luck!

post-804-0-13894500-1437734755_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Can anyone provide photos of the diff fitted to the chassis  from several different angles please. I am looking at making my own front plate. My intention is to fabricate it and a bracket for the top of the diff that will enable me to fabricate arms as per the PRI conversion to enable me to use shocks with incorperated springs. I intend to use MGF rear hubs and calipers/discs. Garage getting there this will be my winter project.

Rob

• 5 months later...

I installed a Subaru differential in my Tri-yota Spitfire.  Thanks Steve (steveJM), from New Zealand! 

I have been "lurking" around here for awhile and thought I should post my progress.  

Check out my posts on TriumphExp.com:  http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1286849

You can find more info on my Toyota 4AGE swap in my journal here: http://www.triumphexp.com/journal/Gregxster&jsort=1

Gregg

• 1 year later...

New improved R160 kit in production. 
Based on previous offer in 2015 with some improvements. See pic's 

Includes 
Qty 1 Rear plate, 
Qty 1 Modified stronger front plate, 
Qty 1 Spring plate to take original Triumph studs, with spring guide as per original. 

Pre-production order for complete set $640 AUD 

Send PM to arrange 50% up front PayPal payment to secure order. 

Freight from Melbourne Australia at your cost to be included in final payment before shipping. (OR/ you can arrange freight yourself) 
Weight of parts complete 6 kg 

R160 Back plate.jpg

R160 Front Plate V2.JPG

spring plate_V2.jpg