Subaru / Datsun Differential In Spitfire Rear Plate

wbrown53

The guy I used to cut the front plate and the spring plate still has the drawings so I might be able to get more cut but the folding of them might be harder as I do not have access to the folder I used, but the guy who cuts them might be able to help with this.

I have attached pictures of the back plate I made, it now has the plugs drill and tapped.

James

post-1135-0-31996100-1419979445_thumb.jpg

post-1135-0-86580800-1419979466_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As they come from the common, modern Subaru applications, the driveshaft will simply pull out with a sharp tug.  This does mean that they are only suitable for a suspension layout where cornering loads are taken by the wheel bearing rather rather than diff side bearing.  So yes, Roto flex layout as Mk2 Vitesse/GT6 2 and early 3 is suited.  Swing axle cars, not.

There are variants of the diff around (mostly dating back 30 years or more AFAIK), from cars such as Datsun 510 or 240Z which have flanges attached and could be used with swing axles.  They'll take some finding now though.

Nick

I can't imagine they will be that easy to find in decent condition but there are some major Subaru breakers about on eBay etc , shelves full of S/H diffs and shafts so you might be lucky .

I think this type of diff/shaft went out of use some time ago on the rear end so not so new and I could not tell you what ratio diff's ran this system or which vehicles . As I have said , Subaru model/parts is not easy to figure out .

Could be easier to go a different route ?

why not the ford route.

the larger engine sierra diffs come with the same shaft retaining principle as those above shafts plus comes with bolt on cv type flanges.

my only concern is that there is not a lot of material behind the circlip and when being used in the way as being discussed  with swing axles the continuous back and forth thrust may fatigue the small ring of splines which could break off(something you don't want floating inside the diff is small pieces of hardened steel).

good range of ratios and fairly common.

Have to agree with you esxefi , I don't think these were designed for such an application .

There are companies ( Beta Motorsport/Wolf Creek racing ) however who will sell pairs of stub axles for these r160 diffs with the Datsun CV attachment plate but you are looking at stupid money and the same question remains .

Sorry having seen the picture I am loading I see the spline/spigot is different but gives an idea for example .

Thinking about it surely the shafts would need a chamfered bearing to be suitable , clearly a circlip would not be sufficient for any degree of pull resistance .

Sorry again but not something I have ever had to think about before .

Also you will then have the issue of mating your outer CV , no ?

Must be easier options .

post-680-0-17852900-1421851499_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spit131

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wondering,

Is there a reason the Subaru diff has been selected over others?

Just spent a bit of time on ebay and why not something like the 350z diffs? better ratios and a LSD diff can be had for less than £150 some going less than £100.

Just a thought but i guess a carry plate can be made to adapt this to the triumph small chassis and an off centre rear diff plate machined to match the original mountings?

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-12%20at%2008.01.Screen%20Shot%202015-05-12%20at%2008.03.Screen%20Shot%202015-05-12%20at%2008.02.

Size.  The 350Z / 200SX / Supra diffs are big.  No way to retain the transverse leaf.

But you are right, there are other options.  Sierra (getting harder to find now though) and a whole tribe of BMW ones to name but two families.

I think the Subaru choice is down to Rocky's use (and thorough documentation) of the Datsun 510 kit years ago.

Nick

Cheers Nick, going to compile a list of modern rear diff sizes that could take an adapter to fit.

May look at something like this and scrap the spring. I don't like a couple of things about this such as how this one uses the original Rotoflex lower wishbone I would look at something that would have two chassis mounting points and it should be adjustable also look at the arc of the top locating arm keep it fixed not adjustable and a little bit beefed to take braking force and what not.

Does anyone know if the shock tower is upto the job of taking a coil over or should it be strengthened? 

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-12%20at%2011.36.

If anyone has any diff dimensions please can you share.

Just for reference this will be nothing I will be selling once done but happy to share any cad drawings for plates that are done to take to your own machine shop 

Edited by GT6_sleeper

I've had no issues with coilovers mounted to the shock fixings although I do have a box section fixed across where the leafspring used to be to allow for the top links so may add some extra stiffness.

sierra diff as mentioned goes in ok with a few minor mods to the body for clearance and mine required removal of the h/brake cable guides

to allow it to go high enough,I use the original diff mounting points so is easy reversible,about the same weight as a triumph unit too.

Isn't the spring likely to push the VL wonky in that setup?

if you mean mine,then no as I have a 5 link a side set up,1 top arm,2 lower arms and 2 forward facing radius arms.(original one and another one above it bolted into the roll cage.

all fully adjustable and very stiff.

anyone know what became of GT5r's project?  It was very promising and innovative

It was sold to a guy called Ian, he put a volvo 4pot in it and finished the project/paid for it to be finished. It a quick car but not my cup of tea.

here is a link to some photos from the place he got some of the body work done http://www.yorkshiretriumphs.co.uk/2013/04/gt6-racer-for-track-road/