Wheel Arch Liners

These seem all the rage these days with the TR boys, and provided they can be fitted well enough (to not cause problems of their own), seem a pretty good idea.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19553

Possibly too much work getting these to fit the front of a Spitfire given that the front wheels often rub against the arches already with the excessive lock to lock steering.

For the rears, you'd want to get the benefit of protecting not just the arches but also the area around the trailing arm attachment or the boot floor/valance, so they'd want to extend further down than the existing wheel arch - almost acting like an internal front and back mudflap. Could even put rubber flaps on to extend them. I do like to take my car out in winter occasionally so would be willing to put the work in figuring this out, might need a bit of advice on how to approach it though. Can post detailed drawings once theyre done so everyone can replicate them. I'm thinking 1-2mm plastic, the thinner the better for flexibility, though they do need to be rugged. Hmm.

With a pair of these, and some decent protection underneath (Waxoyl, Dinitrol), you could make this area almost bulletproof from rusting. Previous owner Waxoyled my car 7 years ago, took it off today with some white spirit and was pleased to find it was almost identical to just after it was restored - just a few paint flecks missing from stone chips and a small patch of surface rust where the paint shop hadn't covered the primer with paint inside the lip.

IMG_0641-e1311128424177.jpg

Plan for this week is to try out Dinitrol instead and see what results that gives over the next 7 years. Waxoyls ok but it looks a bit nasty once it's got a full film of dirt on it, so we'll see how Dinitrol 3125 cavity wax + 4941 underbody coating compares finish and protection wise.