Nicks Vitesse

No, we are currently on the subject of how the trunnionless conversion changes the leverage factors by moving the suspension pivot (but not the steering pivot) outboard by about 40mm, thus significantly reducing the effective rates for both springs and dampers.

Should probably start a new thread as it has potential to be a biggish subject.

On 3/27/2021 at 10:43 AM, Nick Jones said:

Should probably start a new thread as it has potential to be a biggish subject.

It's an interesting one for sure, as the question about whether to go trunnionless or not comes up regularly. I read up as much as I could about it last year and the average user reviews definitely seem positive - mostly brief and including the immortal phrase "fit and forget".

Nick your qualms and some of older threads on this forum swayed me to stick with the standard set-up though. And money of course...!

15 minutes ago, Escadrille Ecosse said:

Have to say that I don't think there's a lot wrong with the Triumph version if looked after. I did almost 200,000 miles in the 6 cylinder Spitfire without issues. Even the top hat bushes last quite a while if properly sealed and greased.

Agreed. I was short a pair as the ones that came with the GT6 were horribly pitted and having done a deal with Mike for a trunnionless pair some time before I’d been sitting on them (and the fence) for while as I never liked the the look of the lower attachment method (to be fair it has been fine).  The irony is that if I’d just stuck them on the GT6 I’d probably never have noticed this issue!

The Vitesse ones, now GT6, have been with me since ‘88. The brasses have been changed a couple of times and I do oil them fairly frequently.  Modern MoT men don’t seem to know how to check them properly so don’t assume they’re good just because fresh MoT.....

4 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Agreed. I was short a pair as the ones that came with the GT6 were horribly pitted and having done a deal with Mike for a trunnionless pair some time before I’d been sitting on them (and the fence) for while as I never liked the the look of the lower attachment method (to be fair it has been fine).  The irony is that if I’d just stuck them on the GT6 I’d probably never have noticed this issue!

The Vitesse ones, now GT6, have been with me since ‘88. The brasses have been changed a couple of times and I do oil them fairly frequently.  Modern MoT men don’t seem to know how to check them properly so don’t assume they’re good just because fresh MoT.....

Sounds like a perfectly sensible argument that.

But quire right about modern MOT men. The young boys always struggle with the fly off handbrake on the Spitfire :biggrin:

• 1 month later...

Track day coming up so time for a bit of fettling.

Tappet check (can't remember when I last did them) revealed the inlets still to be bob-on@ at slightly tight 15 thou (book says 14) but exhausts mostly to be on the tight side. 12 - 14 when they should be 16.  Now sorted.  Inserts or not it seems there is still a little recession happening.

Also fished out the injectors and gave them a ride on my new cleaner/tester.  Actually all pretty good spray patterns and within 5% on volume to begin with and a little better now.  Plugs look pretty even too.

Air filter looks like it needs a wash.......  Will check suspension and brakes later in the week and tweak the tracking a little.  Front tyres say a touch too much toe-out.

• 2 weeks later...

The old beast has had a fairly exciting day......

Around 100 on-track miles at Castle Coombe in conditions varying between bone dry and monsoonal. One of my sessions was red flagged due to part of the tracking being under water.

Nothing fell off and there were no tantrums.  We did get a couple of cases of “is it a 2.5”, which I always consider a win....

02224592-D566-43B8-9793-DB47E9403260.jpeg

Giving the tyres a workout 

B5551730-FFC8-45D6-AF41-147C1815C7F4.jpeg

In good company

59FDDB20-B820-4C23-B318-751D5609371A.jpeg

more good company 

92E1B292-8E98-47AA-89CE-D920A9B61DAB.jpeg
and Mr Carruthers’ gorgeous Mk1 2000 PIe

2 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

Looking good Nick, hopefully i'll be ready to do a track day sometime next year!

Do many people have roll bars hidden under their rag-tops? Wondering what the popular consensus is for that sort of protection on track days.

I like a roll bar, but I have a t shirt somewhere about rolling a spitfire. So it was a condition from the boss that there is one fitted. 

But there is little, if any, kit that you need over and above a road car (helmet of course)

My hot tips are good oil, good tyres, good brake pads. And a well maintained car. That's about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I rolled a Herald once..... though a saloon version. No roll bar, but no glass broken, though the windscreen didn’t fit well afterwards. Was a fairly gentle one as rolls go though.

Inverted my Land Rover 110 County once.
It is amazing how much person can fit through those sliding windows and how quickly.
Trashed the windscreen in the inversion.

I would like to fit a roll bar to the Vitesse, but difficult in a convertible if you ever want to carry passengers in the back.

Possible I suppose with a removable rear diagonal.

Needs to be narrower than ideal to miss the storage compartment, and to my eyes don't look that good with the roof down.

Despite Nick's survival, unhurt from a Herald roll-over, I don't believe that the saloon roof has much strength, and the windscreen surround alone  almost none at all.    Forget my race obsession - when my son's first car was a Spitfire, he could not drive it, even on the road, until we fitted a roll-over bar.   He never 'used' the bar, but I was vastly reassured.

JOhn