What i've done to my Car this week!

3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I wish you weren't right all the time Nick.  

:ohmy: Oh crap! Me too..... :ermm:  It wasn't me...... honest.....  That's det. Is that plug side or squish side - would guess squish side? Are the others ok or can you see signs?  I was thinking more along the lines of a big hole in the gasket fire-ring through to a water way (which I'm guessing there also was?). 

WTF is with the valve dents in the dome, how come you've only got them from half the valves and why exhaust valves not inlets.  Have you got one of this Witor cams with more lift on inlet compared to exhaust only it's reversed.......

It is (allegedly) possible to get the sump off with the engine (more or less) in situ by raising it a couple of inches.  Looks like no fun at all to me though and never tried it myself.  Have done it on 4 pots a number of times though which is easy enough, if messy.

Were you caning it at the time?

Nick

I was moving along quite briskly at the time is all i shall say.

Its a TR5 cam, but like you say does look like higher exhaust lift rather than inlet which is odd.

Its on the plug side that hole.

As the garage is a bit full of other projects guess i'm going to have to try getting the sump off in situ, nothing like laying on your back with oil dripping down for a bit of character building.

With all the other pistons having a forged valve cut out i'm thinking they should all be replaced really as who knows how stressed they are & the new set have some machined in.

You might want to think about changing the valves too - surprised you have any compression after that kind of abuse!  Assuming the lift measures equal between inlet and exhaust, I think the uneven damage is telling you something about your valve timing.  TR5 cam should be symmetrical in lift and timing about TDC - and clearly it isn't.  Can't get my head around whether advanced or retarded at present - going to have to draw myself a picture.

Nick

48 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

- going to have to draw myself a picture.

If you do please post, I can't make head nor tail of the posted picture, and I've even stood on my head to look at it! its obviously obvious to you but I'm not sure what I'm looking at!

Alan

• 2 years later...

Another day of "final" prepping the bulkhead , a posts and sills. I reckon I have them as good now as I am going to get them. You have to draw a line in it somewhere ! I might get out to prime it tomorrow and then a quick shot of filler primer on Monday and colour coat on Tuesday. .. all going well.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Last week (if that counts), I got the clutch release bearing sleeve/gearbox shaft etc all greased up, the engine and gearbox back together, into the car, and the car back on the ground. 

Next step is clean/bolt back the inlet manifold and carb, sort the air filter, and get to work on bonnet maintenance/repair. 

I hope you are all doing okay in the warmth we've had this month! 

I got the car fired up for the first time in a few months.  The carbs are green with the ethanol fuel gunk, so much so the jets were stuck and wouldn't move.  The big deal (for me at least) is that it fired up on the newly installed megajolt through the newly fitted exhaust.  Would have fired first time if not for the carbs being so blocked up!  I did learn that esso posh petrol is ethanol free, so I think that'll be fuel of choice going forwards.  I've had enough of cleaning what looks algae from the carbs every time I want to start it after a layup!

Still a few bits before it gets back on the road.  New brake hoses need fitting, a couple of rear light gremlins need exorcising, and the megajolt loom needs sorting from the "test configuration" rats nest.  I'll aim to get some photos once things are neatened up a bit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, egret said:

I got the car fired up for the first time in a few months.  The carbs are green with the ethanol fuel gunk, so much so the jets were stuck and wouldn't move.  The big deal (for me at least) is that it fired up on the newly installed megajolt through the newly fitted exhaust.  Would have fired first time if not for the carbs being so blocked up!  I did learn that esso posh petrol is ethanol free, so I think that'll be fuel of choice going forwards.  I've had enough of cleaning what looks algae from the carbs every time I want to start it after a layup!

Still a few bits before it gets back on the road.  New brake hoses need fitting, a couple of rear light gremlins need exorcising, and the megajolt loom needs sorting from the "test configuration" rats nest.  I'll aim to get some photos once things are neatened up a bit.

Shell usually has E5 unleaded (super), and so do many Tesco petrol stations. 

ASDA have said they will not be stocking/selling E5. 

Hope that helps. 

My understanding is that "premium" petrol is E5 and that E5 is up to 5% ethanol, but the Esso stuff is the only stuff that's genuinely ethanol free.

I suspect my issue is that some months ago I got somewhat carried away and just grabbed the nearest jerry can without thinking what the contents were and have ended up with some E10 in the tank.  Sadly it's not quite roadworthy so just burning it all off with a spirited ride is a little way off yet!

I’ve been using std 95 at all times (apart from the occasional track day) in both Triumphs and all garden machinery and so far I’ve had no issues apart from fake ethanol proof hoses falling apart.  Longest standing period without use is probably about 4 months.

I also ran my very elderly Honda mower on E85 for two seasons about 10 years back and it’s still going…..

I'm not sure where it all stems from but it seems like the brass bits in my SUs are corroding, I guess they are not keen on what I assume is an ethanol-water emulsion in the bottom of the float bowls.

Of course the answer is to get it back on the road and drive the thing!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this week I've put it all back together and driven it for the first time in over 7 years. Very happy. It's been so long that I can't be sure and the impact of all the changes, but the megajolt seems to give much better low end confidence.  Very happy with it, just need to start weeding out the minor gremlins! 20220821_130248.thumb.jpg.385d6e8f10c9dbfe23609081132a1836.jpg

• Like 2

I've been working on my rotoflex links/MGF hubd this week. Links back from Mr. Speedy after being machined for MGF bearings, cleaned up, and in etch primer. 

MGF hubs cleaned up and ready primer. 

Rotoflex brake drums and backplates ready for wire brushing.

20220829_211232.jpg

20220829_215411.jpg

20220829_230649.jpg

20220829_230637.jpg

1 hour ago, Smith said:

Links back from Mr. Speedy after being machined for MGF bearings

I hope he got yours right…… mine he left the bearing stop land in the middle a bit too big so the CV caught on it when the hub nut was tightened and locked everything up. Wasn’t too hard to fix, but irritating. 

Good to see another set going together.

56 minutes ago, Smith said:

My MGF CV joints have the ABS sensor ring on them. Is it easy (ish) to remove them? 

Dunno, never had to do it. I think they are part of the body so will have to be cut off and ground smooth with an angle grinder. Go steady and don’t overheat the CV body. They are locally hardened.