What i've done to my Car this week!

Ok,

just had a thought from another thread I just posted,

For all of us that havent got the time, or like me ,the computer know how ,to keep a 'blog' both interesting And up to date!  or are too busy reading all the other excellent blogs(Dave) then, what about posting here what youve done to your car this week,that may be of interest,

I'll start then,

This week I did a compression test,which showed( after the advce of you guys)  my cyl head to be 'tall' and the cr probably down at the 8:1 mark, so a head skim is now imminent! ;)

Also been fiddling with carbs, screwing up the jets to the bridge,then down 2 turns as a base to set mixture.

Next,

Roy 8)

I made it a sticky.

I haven't done anything this week, or actually for the last month.

It's nice to have a break.

I did call someone to see how my final TIG welding was going, the answer was "not done it yet"...To which my reply was "fine".

Enjoying having a break. I did go and stare at the car last night for about 20mins...Kind of enjoyed that.

Tested my new airbox & filter last weekend, all seems well, used the laptop to datalog MAP values at WOT from the Megajolt and compared to datalogs with my old airbox. Roads were dry and salt free last weekend, it was even sunny on the Saturday when I had the car out, today is a different matter, the roads have been gritted and we have thick fog, temperature only just above freezing. Did get into the garage though to remove some stickers from my tailgate glass which had been there for a good few years. One new sticker applied with the help of the heat gun ;D.

Andy

Nothing Triumph....... been playing Bongos today, the Japanese semi camper thingy.  Not mine.  They suffer HGF big time (and head cracking ::))

I can now tell you that the engines are VERY heavy and inconveniently positioned in the middle of the vehicle.  Also that the engine is too big to come out through the hole in the floor with the torque converter attached and also that if the engine is seized you can't get the torque converter off.....(taz).  However you can lower the engine to the floor and lift the whole flippin' thing high enough to drag it out from underneath if you have a big enough engine hoist to lift the whole thing up....... Working this out takes all day and serious effort (hammer)

I'm going to ache tomorrow...... ::)

Nick

Despite getting a MOT on my GT6 on Friday, I didn't have that much time to work on it during the week, I should have been fitting a new water pump but Canleys did not put my address and/or telephone number clearly enough on the package, so the courier could not deliver it  :-/

I have spent a fair bit of time on it today though, adding bits of internal trim and re-torquing the head after it's first proper run.

not done anything (yet) been down to see karl and mike again which was good! been a while! and also saw mikes destroyed diff, he doesnt do things by half! but whilst i was there picked up a recon drifshaft, so tomorow im going over to the spitfire to do some engine dismantling ready for a trip to daves in a couple of weeks, and also take old halfshaft off and put in a 3/4" lowering block instead of my 1/2" and if any time is left start to get the new halfshaft on. then i just need to stick an alternator on and get it down the mot station!

meanwhile the 325I has had its wing srayed up and othe little bits for a bargin price so is looking pretty smart now :D

Removed dashboard, sorted out all wireing nice and tidy with 3 8 way plug blocks ready for new dash, then done lots of mesuring on my new fiberglass dashboard, then today cut some of the holes, been relaxing but bit cold in car till ten at night in driveway with lead light, but pulled down workshop for brick one and planning taking longer than hoped.

Took some video of the car to see how the suspension is doing.  Heard there was a Spitfire at Crazy Rays (local pick-your-own-parts junkyard), so headed over today right before they closed to check it out.  Grabbed the tach and speedo for $18 total (didn't drag my tools in with me)--pretty nice units.  May head back there before getting on the plane tomorrow, time permitting.  I promised myself I'd remove the header off my '78 Spit and send it off for Jet Hot coating while I'm out of town, but been enjoying driving the thing instead.

I'm dragging my ass around to putting the rear suspension back together.  Got mad and ordered all of the special diff nose bolts I use to align the Nissan to Triumph flanges,  I just got fed up with fighting the old ones.  They were due for replacement.

Spent half the day fabricating a Saloon style mount for the slave cylinder to make the Saloon box work better in the GT6.  In the end, as I suspected the trans cover fouls.  Will go back to that soon, maybe I just need to refine the vertical setup that has worked for so many years.  I absolutely don't trust a concentric slave however elegant the solution.  If it plays up I have to pull everything and there's just NO time between races for that shite.

Still waiting for parts to finish and return the loaner gearbox that let me down... :'(

As I did a full rebuild last winter I'm trying to focus this winter upon the small trials that slow me down.  I want to redo and rethink all of the work-arounds (bodges) that I deal with on a race weekend.  Once they're behind I tend to forget them so that must be corrected.  Racecar, Transporter and Trailer!  I want to go see Leon in Portland next fall so I've got to get my shit together... ;)

Steve,

Just so you know in adavance, I may not make it to Portland in Sept 09, because I intend to go to the combined VTR/Triumphest Rally at San Luis Obispo in Ca in early October 09, especially as my old pal John Macartney will be there at the end of his round America Charity drive in the Stag.

This years featured car model is the Herald/Vitesse.

Depends largley on the cost of gasoline at that time.

Portland is closer.

L

Spent Saturday afternoon positioning a Subaru diff in an old chassis, chopped out the bits that touched, got the hieght set, need to get some 50mm box section and start making dome mounts. Been trawling the internet for pictures and info on rear coil over set ups, probably going to go for a large lower wishbone (similar to the rotospit set up).

2 things this week:

1. Driving myself round the bend identifying the correct componants for the MJ circuitry conversion for the RVC tachos, and also there relative orientation polarity wise. Every day's an education! ;D

2. In negotiations with the company making the leather seat covers for my MX5 seats, so they are EXACTLY what I want....

Did take the car out for a few spins this weekend- ambient air temperature and chill factor such that I had to break out the 'Frank Butcher': "Pa-aat!" 8)  

been dragging my heels painting the whole front suspension setup and the nice new wishbones from mike. Really have no motivation to work on the car, dont know whats up. Stripped the bulkhead last week and need to get some paint on it but its just too damn cold and cant get motivated to do it.

Been stripping the old engine from the spit mk111 and robbing the cam to send off to Andy in Oz, also fitted the new steering wheel and boss (looks real nice a black leather 13 inch momo).

Just picked up another set of vandervell bearings from the post office (sent from ebay USA) and charger £5.69 VAT plus £8 handling  >:(

Should complete getting all the bits for the new engine for xmas fitting  ;D

• 3 weeks later...

Come on !! ;D  

Im just about to put the battery back on  (had it charging last night)

got a chap from the ct forum up in Telford over crimbo (lucky him! :P)

so, he's asked if he can pop round 2mrw morn for a look at the GT6,

better go wake it up , can give him a blast round the block then! ;)

8)