Your Racing, Trackday, Fast driving Videos.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, if you want to compare gear and diff ratios to speed, I knocked up a quick spreadsheet to do it when I was trying to work out what diff ratio to put behind the T50. You're welcome to a copy, saves you having to be online to work it out. Minty/James does provide you with a lot of standard Triumph gearbox ratios that I didn't build in.

Cheers

James (the other one)

the sneak preview section of this site is telling me something has been deleted.

does the poster of the deleted want to elaborate on how the close ratio boxes aren't rare? just for me?

cheers,

Jim

OH, and I do have a box of gearbits that i think includes a 948 gearbox. Dunno If that can help me at all.

• 5 years later...

I am new to this site. 

It seems this thread hasn’t been used in a while but it seem to ask for car videos  

this is a link to my videos I made of my newbie 2017 sprint and hill climb championship  

it’s a cheapo camera so forgive the quality 

There are a few others on my channel from some historic tracks and hill in the uk. 

Please move over if this is the wrong place. 

H

• 3 months later...

Shows very well how wet it was that day........  Respect for going out in that with just aeroscreens - how wet did you get?

That was definitely a day for decent wet weather road tyres rather than competition/track day barely road-legal things.  Certainly ours were working for us and we found we could go faster than most through the twisty bits.  Our car (grey Vitesse) doesn't seem to feature in your footage but Alan's blue/silver one is there briefly as you blew him away.....

Alan was going pretty well at Gurston on Sunday though...... though maybe not as quick as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFNnXOAAhWI

Nick

I think to be fair to Alan in his vitesse he was letting me past before heading for the pits. 

I did end up putting a waterproof on over the nomex as my shoulders were  getting drenched  

the way the groups were arranged I didn’t get to see too many others on track. 

I was was impressed with the car and tyres in that weather. The rain is a great leveller power wise as my 3a doesn’t have much. 

I think I have one other film to load where I gave a mate a trip round. 

But it takes ages. I should have used 720 definition not full 1080hd !!

I’m at Mira for my first sprint May 5th but they don’t allow filming there. 

H

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Alan was going pretty well at Gurston on Sunday though...... though maybe not as quick as this

Yes to put that run in context, I made that a 31 sec run, some 14 sec's quicker than my PB there, dam dam quick.

If you like speed on the hills if you havent seen it before this is worth a watch, wonder if any of Nick's X1/9 welding is in it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7YGVEMlHPs

Alan

3 hours ago, Hamish said:

your target bogey time must be about 40secs ?

My bogey this year is 42 secs, so getting towards it, but an extra 3 secs at Gurston is a mountain rather than a hill to climb!

NB. The Triumph record at Gurston was set by Hugh Maude a number of years ago, in a very light 4.6 TR7/V8 at 35 secs!  Steve in a Grandfathers Axe version of that car, (i.e. I think it was dismantled in the garage that the new car was built) is starting to get seriously close to that time!

Alan

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey, it's been a while (been a complicated 18 months or so :( ) but the car is still running and finally got to do something with it the other weekend.  Montée Historique des Hautes Vosges is a new event by the people that organise the Ballon d'Alsace (doing that again next month too..) It is however, a much narrower and rougher surface - almost like a gravel rally stage in places.

Short video of one of the practise runs below, only real decent footage I got as I'm rubbish at the in car camera and can't reach it from the driver's seat when strapped in...  I got quicker as the weekend progressed until eventually finding my limit by sliding head-first into the hay bales/armco (luckily no real damage) :D 

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

did you get another practice for being blocked ?

looks a lovely run up the hill - reminds me of the road taken in past motorcycle European tours

Nah, it's not really that competitive and we had plenty of runs (think I did around 8 in total).  As the weekend goes on the order and timings between cars gets sorted out.  At the Ballon d'Alsace there's actually room to overtake, not so here (although I did think about trying, before just opting to stick the fan on and cruise the rest... )

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

Great road and a decent length!

Yeah, it was pretty fun.  I think it's about 3 or 4 km and pretty steep, the camera doesn't show the big scary drops off the edge.   Still first time out in the car for ages, both the new engine and CV joint conversion seem to be holding up and aside from knocking an exhaust clamp loose on a pothole nothing at all to do so quite happy with it.