what's this?

OK, I am having a mid-life crisis...as in er, I'm 50 on March 4th, wtf have I been doing for the last half century?

Anyhow, I am scanning in some photos taken with a crap 126 film camera in July 1972, on a scout trip to Rotterdam, Holland.

At that time, I was 13 and my interest in cars was fairly limited, ie: I was vaguely interested in my Dad's 1967 Rover 2000TC.

Amongst my photos, I took one with these cars in it.

Obviously the Mini in the foreground is a British car, but what of that Saffron/Mustard sports car in the background?

What does anyone think it may be?

Lotus Elan maybe?

or, perhaps an Opel or NSU ???

Anyone?

Léon (clinging to the remainder of his 40's)  

50 ?  A mere boy!!  I'm 59 in May FFS !!! I've always been mad on cars. I don't remember anything else. In the fifties I was mad on American Hot Rods. My sis was a GI bride and her husband used to give me his Hot Rod mags etc when he had read them (he was based at Upper Heyford). He had a '49 Ford 2 door V8, red with wide whitewalls and caddy hubcaps. You can imagine in grey old fifties England (my dad had a black moggie) it was the coolest thing on the planet.

Anyway, I reckon that car is the rare cabriolet version of the Fiat 850 Sport, google it???  Had joint ownership of a Fiat 850 coupe in the very early 70's. Bloody thing boiled every 5 miles!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

I still contend that it's not a FIAT because the FIAT has vestigial front over-riders and the mystery car in my photo seems to have blacked out headlamp 'covers', whereas the FIAT doesn't, although the FIAT does have styling similarities.

Very odd.

I hadn't considered the Jensen Healey, but will go google one...

L

Sorry Harry, GEORGE got it first!

However, I probably got confused because George originally said "Anyway, I reckon that car is the rare cabriolet version of the Fiat 850 Sport, google it???  Had joint ownership of a Fiat 850 coupe in the very early 70's. Bloody thing boiled every 5 miles!"

This caused me to google the wrong sub-model, because it is more accurately known as the "Fiat 850 sport spider".

All very confusing.

But I am pretty certain that George is right and it is not an Elan, because that car has a much larger air intake below the front bumper.

L

• 11 years later...