Morris Marina

As you can probably gather from the signature, I'm a fan of the much-maligned Marina, and have been intending to get one for some time now. Why? Because I believe that the legendarily bad handling on these cars will teach me more about driving than any Advanced Driving course ever would  ;D

At a car club meeting last night I actually drove my first Marina ever - a 1978 4-door 1.8 Special in two-tone beige and rust. It's taxed & MOT'd and it's for sale, around the 200 quid mark. I'm now struggling with my conscience as to why I shouldn't buy it (I haven't got space for it, it's the expensive road tax bracket......)

Anyone else able to help? Is there any known cure for this mania????  ::)

Probably.....

They break exceptionally well for bits..... ;D

Flog the engine to some bod with a knacked US spec MGB, break the axle for the gears (goes in 1500 Spitfire), break the gearbox for the layshaft and selectors which are forged variety and never wear out.....

The tyres go great on a Spitfire, the car tax can be cashed in, and the scrap metal is now worth about £30.

All in all a pretty useful £200  ;D

Classic ad... 'When British Leyland set out to produce a beautiful car... they only end up giving you 10 versions of the 'kin Morris Marina'  ::) ;D Anyone else cringe when they drove them through all that salt water? Bet they didn't last long :X

• 2 weeks later...
Take your money and go to your local red light district instead.

You'll still be 200 quid down but at least you'll have had a good time, which is more than you'll have if you buy a  marina!

Have you not seen the pictures of his Lady - no need for the district!  ;)

Roy - ace vid!!

Marina's. If i ever win the lottery im gonna buy a beige one. Im then gonna wear a BAD jumper with track suit bottoms and fill a briefcase with cash and walk into the poshest Bentley dealership i can find and see how im treated. If they will not entertain me ill walk out with a smile on my face!

Ash.

I have been married before and left the reception (1973) in a blue Marina 1300 Coupe.

Quite the worst car ANY manufacturer has made and total garbage even a Trabant sounds a little better, well perhaps not.

You must be young Text or are you just living up to your name :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You must be young Text or are you just living up to your name :D

Thank you for thinking that, but I have to say that I'm not that young any more  :(  And you do know me, from over the "other side", just by a different name  :D

And I'm taking the whatever - I do genuinely like the things; the fact that they are generally regarded as shite is irrelevant.

I will have one. One day. Just not yet

My Dad had one as a company car (1800) followed by every ford that was going Cortina's Capris etc all the engines 1.3, 1.6, and 2.0 the marina ,he said, was the only car that could drive up out of bristol from the cumberlin basin to the suspension bridge in third. (hill is a good mile / mile and and half and 1.5 / 1.6 ) The fords were all better cars, but the marina had them beat on low down torque.

I also had a mate that had the 1300 coupe with a side pipe and sprayed to look like the dukes of hazzazard car, the general lee, with the roof paint too! Had lots of fun trying to make it go fast to no avail

Still i think you need help Tex the piss

• 1 month later...