Sign in to follow this  
Jim

A40

Thought I'd show you all the A40. Its not mine, but when I'm a good boy I get to drive it quite a bit, and do most of the 'work' on it.

Goes nicely up to 60, then the gearing runs out!!

Retro modded to 1275cc, AP Calipers (MG Metro?), Adjustable Avos.

We are now looking at 5 speed-ing it.

The 3 branch is fairly horrid, working on the owner to a get a lcb.

502641501_bc3c26e6cf.jpg

1195558413_4a7ac40e31.jpg

Friend of mine is just starting an A30.  It is to have a series bottom end, with BMW bike 16v head, megasquirt, straight cut close ratio T9, Midget front end (I think we can do better actually!),  English axle and to appear as standard as possible.......  Flying bathtub... ;D

Love the street sleepers!

Nick

Sweeeet! Looks really nice, especially with the black dunlops against the grey colour.

My dad has been working on an A35. Odd but cute wee car. I think F. Williams used to race these?

Nick, I've heard about that A series + BMW head idea before. Seems like quite a potent mix.

Ryan, A bleeding love A35s, nearly bought this last year....

502585428_a996f47a1c.jpg

How fuckin cool is that!?

I don't know the Williams connection, but James Hunt had an A35 Van:)

Jim,

That BMW head thing is pretty amazing - he's got pretty much all the engine and gearbox bits sorted now (must take some pics next time I'm over there).  Just a small matter of the shell now - it's pretty solid but has been used for production car trialling so has some dents in wierd places - nice old fashioned thick metal though.

Saw a Ford 100E at the Bristols classic car show last year with Capri 2.8i running gear (incl. injection).  Looked standard from outside apart from being on alloys and a bit low.  Not often a Ford fan but I liked the look of that.  I'll post a pic in a new thread.

Nick

Alternative power for A30

Fiat 2.0 TC with autobox (the owner said it was quite quick enough as an auto!).  

Quite an easy conversion - my friend with the BMW/A series previously owned an A35 van with Fiat 124 sport engine (1.6 + twin Weber IDFs) and 5 speed that someone else had converted.  That came with drum brakes, crossply tyres and a jacked up rear end (hot rod style) and was absolutely LETHAL wet or dry.  Once wheels/tyres/brakes etc were sorted it was much more fun - very James Hunt...

Nick

502585428_a996f47a1c.jpg

How fuckin cool is that!?

V. nice, the one we had around was a darker blue. I thought the little leather straps to prevent the door outfolding when opened where a nice touch. The whole cars simplicity is criminal when you see the underside of one on a 2-post lift, made me smile anyway.

Graham Hill (showing my age) had an interest in the Speedwell firm and raced A35s. They are affectionately known as "teapots" 'cos they are short and stout and steam a lot!

More recently the great Rae Davis wowed the crowds at the Goodwood Revival a couple of years ago (2004?) with his drive in an A35 dicing with a big Jag. Try YouTube.

I've also seen a lovely A40 race at Castle Combe in the Top Hat series a couple of years ago.

When I wos young, tin top racing was all little BMC and Ford saloons. Little cars normally driven by District Nurses being thrashed around Croft or whereever. Heady days! Then the big Jags and later the huge Galaxies came along, but that is another story.....

That A40 looks gorgeous Jim!

I wouldn't go for an LCB but a 'Controlled Vortex' 3:1 manifold. Janspeed made up a batch this time last year so the prices fell (and they now have a jig!).

I understand Tim Fenna at Frontline Spridget is currently working on a Supercharged K Series conversion on an A35! :o

I wouldn't go for an LCB but a 'Controlled Vortex' 3:1 manifold. Janspeed made up a batch this time last year so the prices fell (and they now have a jig!).

Cheers Debs, I thought Janspeed had got out of that market, and into 'Kevs'

Any ideas where they can be appropriated from?

The Frog has got an LCB, its way better than the Cast job, but I couldn't quote power figures  :-/

Graham Hill (showing my age) had an interest in the Speedwell firm and raced A35s. They are affectionately known as "teapots" 'cos they are short and stout and steam a lot!

More recently the great Rae Davis wowed the crowds at the Goodwood Revival a couple of years ago (2004?) with his drive in an A35 dicing with a big Jag. Try YouTube.

I've also seen a lovely A40 race at Castle Combe in the Top Hat series a couple of years ago.

When I wos young, tin top racing was all little BMC and Ford saloons. Little cars normally driven by District Nurses being thrashed around Croft or whereever. Heady days! Then the big Jags and later the huge Galaxies came along, but that is another story.....

Yeh we watched that revival race it was fantastic, I loved them when I saw them at Silverstone wallopping Daryl Upritchard (racestorations) when he was in his TR3, they just dont shut off for the corners 8)

Cheers Debs, I thought Janspeed had got out of that market, and into 'Kevs'

Any ideas where they can be appropriated from?

Lol @ Kevs.

Then again Jan Oder always was a bandit.

For the CV manifold you'll need to 'phone Janspeed direct.

A bit of history:

I called Janspeed in December last year regarding the CV manifold. They said they still hold the patent but no longer had the jig so they'd need me to bring the Midget to Salisbury so they could measure up and make the manifold on the car (so to speak). Oh yes, and it would be £800 TYVM!  :o

I told them I'd go to Maniflow. 8)

Subsequently a guy called Daniel Stapleton (one of the MGCC Marshalls) posted on an MG Forum that he had a CV manifold on his Midget that needed replacing and that Janspeed were going to use his extant manifold as a jig. Furthermore, if people came in with him on the deal, then the unit cost would fall.

The result was that we got the manifold for about £140 IIRC - bit different to £800!

Ahh good old group buys!

Have you ever used Kim at Magic Midget?

Never dealt with them I'm afraid.

The major people we dealt with for the Midget were:

Tim Fenna at Frontline Spridget (excellent guy):

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/frontline/index.htm

Peter May (another excellent guy - probably knows more about racing Spridgets than any one else in the UK):

http://www.petermayengineering.co.uk/contactUs.htm

Wolsley 1500 spares (for our big rear drum conversion):

http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~sandy/wolseley/1500/1500.html

Simon Morton at Morspeed (for engine machining - good but very, very slow!):

http://www.morspeed.co.uk/

Obviously we used Moss for niff naff and trivia items and we used Merlin Motorsport and Think Automotive for for various 'race related' general items.

Hi Guys

Here my current rally car, it causes great interest when I'm out in it, much to the annoyance of Evo and Cossie owners !!!!

Its current been resprayed in maroon with a silver roof, and having a top end rebuild, with new carbs, twin HS6 SUs for that period feel

The next challenge is sorting the suspension out

Regards

ArtyP