saloon lighting

SpitmkIIICPH

Danish Golf drivers are generally mad or drunk or both.

Most likely it was a Golf Mk2, either red or black, and accidernt happened in jutland. You see, the downside of not having any traffickcontrol in denmark is that you have a bunch of boyracers loose on the road trying to kill anything in sight.

Generally speaking, if you see round headlights coming up from behind, then pull over - it is either a golf or a beamer. And they will not go around you!

Cheers

Nick

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a way I quite fancy the longer trip on the ferry, more time to relax I guess, but the sailing times are too wrong to go from Harwich, so it looks like a sailing from Dover would be more flexible/easier.

Anyone else fancy going over? Fore some reason I don't feel so inclined to do the 10CR at the moment.

Danish Golf drivers are generally mad or drunk or both.

Most likely it was a Golf Mk2, either red or black, and accidernt happened in jutland. You see, the downside of not having any traffickcontrol in denmark is that you have a bunch of boyracers loose on the road trying to kill anything in sight.

Generally speaking, if you see round headlights coming up from behind, then pull over - it is either a golf or a beamer. And they will not go around you!

Cheers

Nick

This all happend a few year ago and we have been extremely lucky that we were not hurt ... we were in a traffic jam in Helsingoer and could just see the sea. As it was a RHD car I pulled to the right to have a good view ... and BANG we were hit ... the car 'flew' to the right, landed on the cyclist road ... as I had my hand on the steering wheel the car turned fully to the left (avoiding a cyclist by a few inches  :o) .... then the car crossed the traffic in front of the car that was in front of us when we got hit .... luckily I was still on the brakes as when I opend my eyes again, I saw a bus passing a few inches in front of the car  8)

Somebody followed my description ?

My mate kept his eyes open so he could explain me afterwards what hapened ... I just closed my eyes whem I heard and felt the BANG.

But as a result I had no glass in my eyes ....

It was a white Golf Mk2 16V and the driver ran away after the accident ... but he was well known to the police, the codriver had no seatbelts and killed the windscreen with his head.

So the holiday was over after 2 days and we returned by train ... the car 2 month later with completely bend chassis and body.

OK, I have read the comments about Cibiés and WIPAC, and the point is that the WIPACs RUST.

But more to the point is the fact that Cibié-Valeo know what they are about and their headlamps are precision optical instruments, whereas the Wipacs quite simply aren't.

Headlamps should never ever Blind oncoming road users, or people you come up behind, that is not their purpose and if that is what they are doing, then they are either crap, or out of adjustment.  

Finally, bluish-white capsules, (not bulbs), are not clever or even efficient, and yellow creates a much more effective illumination as far as the human eye is concerned.

FWIW, I used to enjoy night driving in Europe, but my eyes have got worse as I have got older, and conditions here in the USA are absolutely horrible when driving at night, due to improper beam patterns/cut-offs, lifted trucks (breaking about every lamp-height law out there), plus bluish-white capsules, and stupid HID lamps, or cheap rip-off copies. Now I absolutely hate driving at night.

O.K. here follows a link to just about the only person who has properly researched this, and put details on the net...

I give you Mr.Daniel Stern:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Regards

Léon

Having seen my 2000 being thrashed on a dark, urban road this evening, I was quite surprised that its tungsten sealed beam lights were indistinguishable from the surrounding modern cars.  From behind the wheel, they give a yellower light than halogens but are more than adequate.  I love driving the 2000 at night.

Anyone who moans about xenon lights obviously hasn't driven a car with them fitted, they're superb.  The white light they give out lets you see things like frosty pavements / grass, alerting you to the fact that there may be ice etc. As long as the auto aim system is working correctly (which frequently isn't the case), they shouldn't cause dazzle.

Most of the problem here in the USA is that headlamps are frequently out of adjustment on many cars, due to no MOT equivalent, or mounted too high, as on many SUVs and pick-ups, (there are regulations about the heights, which vary from State to State, but they do not appear to be enforced). Also, beam patterns here do not have the European cut-offs, which help prevent blinding glare. Furthermore, many main roads are not illuminated, and it is really dark out in the country without illumination. Not only that, the capsules themselves are not the same as they are in Europe, the H4 being quite a different design here.

I well recall the drive across pitch dark Northern France, and then after the ferry trip across the channel, the welcoming illumination of the British Motorways, plus cats eyes, all the way back to London. You really knew you were home!

L  

I like pitch black roads.

This time of year it's the asteroid belt, driving along in N France/Vosges with the sun roof open is awesome on a frosty night.

A meteor every 5 mins.

Up here 60N, there's no street lights either.

Never will regret seeing the sky at night (and the moonlight on the sea), instead of some stupid human created pollutions!  ::)

• 2 years later...

This thread has been running a long time, but things move on.

I have improved my headlamps again, and my eyes!

Lasik surgery gave me 20/20 in my left eye, and 20/18 in my right, this means I can more comfortably drive at night, but my reading vision has gone to the usual over 40 year old hell in a handbasket!

I now have the inside pair of my Vitesse lamps, a pair of Z180 lenses,

with Osram Nightbreaker +90 Ultra-High Output 55w H1 Bulbs.

and on the outside pair, a pair of Z180 lenses, (left hand steer).

with Phillips Xtreme Power H4 Light Bulbs.

All special order, German made.

There is little to be gained by using 100 Watt capsules.

This is the result:

Léon

post-665-0-95154100-1309237107_thumb.jpg

Edited by lordleonusa

Let there be light :thumbsup:

Think I will get some of those night-breakers for the saloon...

On another note I need some old school type relays (lucas type) for the spitfire headlights.. relays will be mounted on the radiator valence along with an extra fusebox (original type)..

Do I use the 6RA or is there a beefier type for lighting?