TR6 Stromberg setup

SpitmkIIICPH

My mate has decided to ditch the tripple-weber setup on his 74 US-Spec TR6, as we can't them running properly... (tried a range of jets/ckoke tubes)

Engine is believed to be standard spec - so we have concluded that the US cam and compression aren't suitable for the weber set-up :-/ (some DPO must have spent a lot of money on this kit)

This has been confirmed by various sources.

So - what to do? Well he has already sourced a set of Strombergs CD175s free of charge, and I think we can cobble up a linkage from my saloon parts stash....

Only part we seem to be missing is a manifold.. what do we need? Will one of the 2500 saloon manifolds fit - or does anyone have the correct item going spare?

I know changing back to strombergs is very un"sideways", but we are currently not up to the task of skimming the head and changing the cam to suit webers etc ;D

First thing to check is what port pattern his head has (well, the cars head in fact) as some US spec cars had different inlet port positions.  European spec manifolds do fit but the ports don't match at all well.  This could turn out to be one of the reasons why the Webers don't do well.  That and the fact that alot of US TR6s had about 7:1 compression and a very "conservative" cam giving about 80 bhp  ::).  You can super or turbocharge these engines very easily, without internal mods as a result but you certainly won't see any benefit from triple sidedrafts, just empty the fuel tank faster.

Nick

Edit: to expand on this, a friend has a TR6 he restored from an American import.  It came with shagged Strombergs which went in the bin.  He had the engine rebuilt and corrected the cam and compression ratio issues.  He then slapped set of 2500S carbs on using the 2500S manifold.  It ran, but not well.  He fiddled with it on and off for a while but it was a big disappointment.  As it had a particulary nasty 6-2-1 on it I suggested that might be his problem and as it also had a habit of baking starter motors he swapped it for the std cast one.  During this procedure he also noticed strange marks on the manifold gasket around the inlet ports and realised the real problem.  He swapped the head for another European spec 2500 one and now it goes very well....

N

• 10 years later...