Sign in to follow this  
James

Staying in the seat

Having done my second ever track day - I realise my car has great potential - and once I get my new engine it'll be addictive!

One annoying thing is moving about in the seat - there are a few options - some of which I think are better than others.

1) new seat - but I kind of like the comfy arm chairs

2) harnesses - but with no head rest I'm not sure about this as I reckon it could be a bad combination should I hit something

3) both of above - I am not sure I can be bothered to be swapping seats - I think I'd end up leaving it all in there

A harness could be nicely mounted on the existing rear belt points - preferably the ones on the parcel shelf (a bit uneven - but should be ok if the straps are long enough and they have that bridge piece?) - I could use the ones down low directly behind but I don't fancy squashed shoulders?

Thoughts?

I guess it comes down to my own risk assessment.

James

Can't you fit a Jag seat or something? Something leather but with some support. Probably get a reasonable colour match?

No reason you cant have both comfort and support.

You could use proper belts with a seat with shoulder support

Thing is for proper support I need something really quite close fitting - a Jag seat is fine for a large business man.

You are right though - I believe there is a certain model of Jag that goes will in the saloon.

I am kind of thinking that it could just be anything as long as it's comfy and I can make it fit. Swapping over seats isn't too much of a pain.

My plastic seat, perfectly good on long drive, very comfy, no complaints :)  Don't move a mm with the 6 points. Ergonomics in'nit.

Porsche make some good seats.

If I go for something that is just for track day then it can look like anything!

Hmmmm... I'll have a look on eBay tomorrow...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-XJS-Drivers-Seat-Doeskin-Leather-1989-model-P75_W0QQitemZ120509537624QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c0eed9d58

Something like this in Red?

Beware they are not a walk in the park to fit (you need to build / weld a subframe to marry the Triumph runners to the Jag base) and tend to sit very slightly to the door side as they are symmetrical whilst Triumph saloon seat are actually asymmetric. This makes them very tight on the transmission tunnel side f you need to have the seat a long way forwards

I'll have to try find some measurements to check they don't look too small.

Nice idea - could you even get away without harnesses with that...? How about sewing your racing overalls into the seat - just zip yourself in  8)

Velcro?  Maybe not a completely daft idea.  My 2000 has the seats with fabric centres, far grippier than vinyl ones.

I couldn't really do much about the suspension on my old Metro but a decent set of seats increased the cornering speeds by a considerable margin.  I could actually steer rather than just hang onto the wheel.

Recaro seats from a Rover 800 Vitesse are pretty good in a 2000 if you don't mind them not matching. I think you just need to weld in a few extra brackets to pick up the Rover mounting points.  Only minor snag is that the seat belt catch is attached to the Rover seat frame but due to the 2000's reel mounting position, the seat belt is a little short if you have the seat a long way forward or are a bit of a bloater.

Failing that, get some extra bolstering in the original seat and have an upholsterer alter the cover to suit with some matching fabric.

I have wonderful leather with patina - I don't really want to give them up...

Duct tape is suprisingly effective and longlasting.

Amen!

image.php?imgsrc=hot_chick_mouth_taped.jpg

Why mess about looking for a seat from a production car?

Cost? - maybe, but if this is for track days only, get a proeper race seat.  that will hold you in for any corner.

OMP, Cobra, Corbeau, �120-140

OR

A Kirkey seat �95!  These are just alloy shells, but are amazingly comfortable, once correctly positioned.

These all should, of course, be bolted to the floor.

I presume this is a Spitfire, so runners are unnecessary.

That diagram above, with the shoulder straps bolted to the rear wheel arch, running at an angle of 45 degrees.

That is the lowest permissible angle.  If possible, they should run straight back from the shoulder.

I have added a reinforcing bar to the rear bulkhead, so my straps can do that.

John

PS "I have wonderful leather with patina."  'Patina' = polish.  No wonder you slide about!

John - It's for my 2000 saloon.

I'll measure the angles for belts - if they are ok I think I'll just try belts first.

If it came to it I could use the parcel shelf mounts - though the one that goes over to the passenger side would be quite an angle. I've seen belts with "bridge" pieces just behind the seat - though not sure what angle they are designed to cope with.

Also need belts that are long enough!

James

James,

Seat runners even more unnecessary for a 2000 with four doors!

I was comparing a Spitfire with a Herald/Vitesse where rear access might be a consideration.

'Long' belts, ask about rally items.   For exactly the same reasons as yours, rally car harnesses need to have longer tails than those listed for single seaters.

John

Cheers John.

And what do you reckon about the parcel shelf mounting idea? I'll have to measure and ask the harness manufacturer.

James

Have a look at MX5 seats, theyre pretty narrow and supportive (and cheap seconghand). For the belts, have you considered one of those clips that locks the 3 point belt in position?