Dan

L61 Ecotec + T5 5 Speed

Cooling system nearly complete. Just need a valve for the heater.

IMG_20190628_170457.jpg

IMG_20190628_170447.jpg

NICE! Looks quite at home in there. I am fitting a mazda b6 to a herald and I was thinking of using a mk1 spit header tank I have sitting about- whats the rad you are using there? like it may suit

The MK 1 Spit header tank was absolutely the inspiration.. if only I could have made it out of brass!

The rad is out of a mid-90s Dodge Neon, and came with dual fans. At the end of the day I'll probably either modify this rad with new welded on AL top and bottom tanks, or have a custom rad built off the same basic dims but with a thicker core and better located inlets and outlets. This exact rad was the product of wandering the the auto yard for a couple hours with a tape measure trying to find a reasonable combination of size, mounting tabs and inlet / outlet positions from a car with a similar engine size. To be honest I think maybe this rad is a little anemic for the engine I'm using, but we'll see how it performs and go from there. Given that this will be a casual weekend car and not a race car, I think it'll probably be fine.

You Could try using GT6 radiator!

You can find the welded bracket mount dimensions on the internet (or I can dig them up for you)

Picked this radiator up on ebay with fan and welded fan bracket included. Just need to modify the fill cap neck to fit under a spitfire hood.

Lots of competition multi core versions available on the internet.

Andy

GT6 Rad Clearance.jpg

GT6 RAD1.jpg

16 hours ago, aoie said:

You Could try using GT6 radiator!

You can find the welded bracket mount dimensions on the internet (or I can dig them up for you)

Picked this radiator up on ebay with fan and welded fan bracket included. Just need to modify the fill cap neck to fit under a spitfire hood.

Lots of competition multi core versions available on the internet.

Andy

That looks great! Looks like you have an oil cooler stuffed up front, too? And I see a suspicions quantity of EFI looking parts... crank wheel, water temp sensor, weatherpack rad fan connector - something's going on in there... :D

I had actually considered that - I even have an original GT6 rad that's in decent shape. I decided to go the route I did because the rad cap was too low to be useful, and I didn't want to end up with 2 caps in the car. I could probably sell the GT6 rad and pay for a custom AL one, too.  

I use a golf rad with a ford st170 engine in my spit. SVT focus?

Rad is 520x320mm and 32mm thick, and is ok. I think it is a bit close and has little spare, but is working fine when thrashed. Fan comes in in traffic, but to be expected.

I have a slight sorry with the header tank. The pipe looks vulnerable to cracking where it joins the tank? I would have used a bit of "humped" rubber to allow for flexing. But I am probably fretting over nothing.

58 minutes ago, zetecspit said:

I have a slight sorry with the header tank. The pipe looks vulnerable to cracking where it joins the tank? I would have used a bit of "humped" rubber to allow for flexing. But I am probably fretting over nothing.

I think you make a good point and I don't disagree. The angle as it is now isn't really ideal, either... not to mention just kind of fugly. It would probably be a good idea for me to cut the pipe maybe 3 or 4" (or just past the steam hose) from the end of the tank and put in a section of rubber to at least dampen some of the vibration. I admit I've been reluctant to cut the pipe until a few more bits are in place. Heck, I don't even have a top rad support yet, so the weight of it is hanging off the header tank right now. 

Stumbled across this today too, which seems both really cool and a tad pricey.. but really cool!

https://coachcontrols.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36&products_id=126 

The top mounts on my rad are (from memory) the tubular supports from the spit, but certainly strong enough. About 1/2" tube, ends flattened n a vice and drilled. 

And my rad is angled, about 45degrees. All good, cheap as chips.

If your interested in the GT6 radiator mount dimensions PM me and I will send them to you!

I converted what I found for the GT6 mount online, and converted them to Auto-cad that I gave to my sheet metal fabricator.

instead of welding nuts to the backside of the mounts like the original GT6, I cut 5/16" steel square pieces of metal to place under the mount, then drilled and tapped holes for screws. This way if something gets stripped I just need to replace the square block and not grind off the mount from the frame for repairs.

I then copied the mounting locations from a GT6 frame, screwed them on temporary and then had my welder permanently attach them to the frame.

And yes I do have a 13 row oil cooler custom mounted to the front of the radiator, with a sandwich of rubber for vibration.

Radiator mount 1.jpg

Oil Cooler 1.jpg

Well, it's starting to look a bit like a car now. And I was able to drive it down the street! First impression is that the gearing is not ideal... I have the feeling that the guy who rebuilt my transmission used the truck gears instead of the Camaro gears.. nothing I can do about it now though - he's in the wind.

Started working on the transmission tunnel concept..I think it's a good start.

Spit_Aug_2019.png.c1559df7c877532931d4a788c0285bb2.png

IMG_20190825_171507.jpg.64870664b37a8ade4919ee524aec8318.jpg

Hi aoie,

I see you have electricall connected the aluminium radiator to the chassis. I have insulated mine from the chassis with nylon hardware; I don't want any corrision happening with the radiator.

Cheers,

Iain.

Small update..

Not much progress over the winter, but with C-19 I might be working from home soon, so I might just as well setup in the garage!

Starting to wrap some parts as a temporary paint job. $119 CAD (Around £70) for a 60" x 25' roll should about do the whole car. The "carbon fiber" bit is experimental for the trim.

MVIMG_20200316_090336.jpg

MVIMG_20200317_195504.jpg

Door_Trim_Detail.jpg