Jango’s rear end kit

Looks like a very nice piece of fabrication and jig work :). Have a question regarding what will be the new main rails and the attachment method to the chassis.

As this is in fact the backbone of the car and not a subframe, the two tubes (ringed in red) forward of the diff look a bit skinny to me. I would like to see a couple of braces (green lines) to stiffen things up. Also wondering how you are planning to join the small round tubes to the larger rectangular chassis rails (which are at an angle just to make things more awkard....).

Oh, and when are you developing the Vitesse variant..... :P (they have outriggers to make things more difficult ::))

Nick

jig3small_1957_edit_nj_4270.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a very nice piece of fabrication and jig work  :).  Have a question regarding what will be the new main rails and the attachment method to the chassis.

As this is in fact the backbone of the car and not a subframe, the two tubes (ringed in red) forward of the diff look a bit skinny to me.  I would like to see a couple of braces (green lines) to stiffen things up.  Also wondering how you are planning to join the small round tubes to the larger rectangular chassis rails (which are at an angle just to make things more awkard....).

Oh, and when are you developing the Vitesse variant.....  :P (they have outriggers to make things more difficult  ::))

Nick

Hi

Vitesse variant could be done to your car 1st if you like.

As for fitting to chassis i will get back to you soon i hope lol

Looks like a very nice piece of fabrication and jig work  :).  Have a question regarding what will be the new main rails and the attachment method to the chassis.

As this is in fact the backbone of the car and not a subframe, the two tubes (ringed in red) forward of the diff look a bit skinny to me.  I would like to see a couple of braces (green lines) to stiffen things up.  Also wondering how you are planning to join the small round tubes to the larger rectangular chassis rails (which are at an angle just to make things more awkard....).

Oh, and when are you developing the Vitesse variant.....  :P (they have outriggers to make things more difficult  ::))

Nick

The attachment method is 2 x 5"x3"  1/4" plates welded to the cut off original chassis then the new subframe has the same plates welded to that with 4 x 3/8" x 1" high tensile bolts per plate. The structural  design exceeds the existing ladder frame, but like the original chassis the new frame is still attached to the body which in turn subsidises the structure.

The extra tubes you have indicated in green and circled in red will make no significant addition to the structure as the fixing point is still the same. The material being used within the distances between the brace indicated takes over 6000lbs to bend beyond it's yield point "as a free structure" with the support from the body this is increased approximately 250%. The materials used look skinny but i only use high quality race industry materials, only seamless chrome moly or CFSBK6A cold drawn carbon steel.

The pinion angle has been optimised with consideration to U/J life and clearances. This is the reason that working drawings were produced.

I hope the above answers your questions,.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chopping the rear of the chassis off was pretty drastic, I thought, but the plan's worked. That subframe is a very nice piece of fabrication, and the suspension will be properly located - better, probably, than Triumph's version. A proper 'H' lower wishbone would be a good improvement for a rotoflex suspension even without the Sierra diff, CV shafts etc. Altogether it should be damn near unbreakable. Although a necessary part of product development will be to try...

Let us know if all the spherical joints make for more NVH?

BLOODY HELL!

That's a freakin awesome bit of work!  Truly magnificent.  If it works as well as it looks you'll have a barnbeater for sure.

I don't ever ponder such mods as the racer is limited.  I couldn't run anything along those lines so I tend to be introspective.  Thank all above that you guys are developing such killers in Triumph trim.  I love it!  HAt's off to ya and a deep bow included! :P

Do you ever think about production racing Steve? There is a guy up here with a 64 MGB who does really well in GTU. He runs the original cngine complete with SU's, but the car is state of the art with a Nascar type frame and suspension and a lot of fiberglass. I'd be afraid of getting banged up, but he has raced the same car for 35 years. He won his class 2 years ago and he always runs up front. Its a really beautiful car. (for an MGB)

Bloody hell, indeed!

That is a very nice piece of work.

Can't comment on the subframe, though I can see why the cross tube is massive when you hang the coil-over on the end of a stick, but the wishbones too are massive.

Are you running some modern hitorque engine?

Thanks to Binman, I'm fitting these wishbones, light 'n' airy 20mm tube;

jons_wishbones_small_5393.jpg

this project is amazing, its exactly how it should have been, but a little bit prettier.

i have to ask, is this a racing mod, or is it intended for road use? i.e. will it make the rear end too stiff to handle the lumps and bumps of british roads?

i would like to do something similar, and although i have have looked at many different ways to do it, this is the first one i have seen which has passed my standards of asthetics!

would you mind if i was a bit cheeky and asked how much this costs and who is doing the work for you?

cheers