Idiots Guide to CV conversion on Rotoflex cars

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea. Let me know if you need any photos of the  Bowler/Jones shafts fitted as the originals are currently fitted to the back of my GT6. Also, Nick Jones is "in production" again I think. Pound for pound this has got to be the best option

• 1 month later...

Sorry to resuscitate an old thread but I will jot down a brief bit of information about this CV conversion, seeing as a few people have asked me, through various forums, about this. Dave, please feel free to edit/delete this once more complete information has been put up.

The CV conversion on my car is the Jones/Bowler version. Nick Jones did the first bit of working out and then Josh Bowler made it all a bit easier to bolt on and setup.

Nick Jones' site can be seen http://www.tengaston.plus.com/Vitds1.htm#top and Josh Bowlers http://www.gt6.ca/josh/cv_rotoflex.html.

The basic layout is this, starting from the differential and working out,

1. Adaptor plate from diff output flange to inner CV joint

2. Volvo 340, 94mm Lobro type CV joint

3. Metro/Rover 100 short driveshaft

4. MGF or Metro outer CV joint

5. MGF/Elise bearing pack in a re-machined upright

6. MGF rear hub

To get sufficient clearance over the chassis rails, I fitted so called 'fast' CV boots. These not being ribbed, had more clearance over the rail, though the standard one can be mad to fit by pushing the boot back and securely fastening it.

boots.jpg

Vertical link with bearing, pair of CV adaptors and a brake drum centering ring, picture courtesy of Nick Jones

cv_parts_002_6345.jpg

My copy of the CV conversion next the old Rotoflex shaft

pg_347155014.jpg

Good summary Steve, thanks!

I also have it in mind to update my original website write up and add info on Josh's development as well some of the other variants of it that I'm aware of.  Not quite sure when, but I have figured out how to get stuff on and off my website at least  ::).

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I found my notes on machining of the vertical link to accept the MGF bearing the other day, so I though I'd add this also.

1. The centre of link needs to be machined through to about 67mm to give an interference fit for the outer race of the new bearing.

2. Inner side of link to be machined out to 86mm to a depth of 10mm to give clearance for the CV joint.

3. Out side of link to be machined down by 4.5mm

4. Outer circlip grooved cut 5mm from new outside of link. Position of inner clip is determined by outer race of bearing (approx 37mm).

link.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Started to gather and sort my parts for this. I'll update this thread while I am fitting it.

Decided to do this job now, combining it with removing my engine to sort that BLOODY release bearing, this is an insult  :-/

So looks like a total stripdown...Car off the road again!

What an arse.

Indeed I have strted buying the bits ready to build a set up. Local stuff on ebay, stuck some bids in (all listed seperately)

Got one upright and hub etc for 99p, the other side sold for about £40!!! got the wishbones too, but failed on the tie-rods. Still, plenrty of time. Oddly I didn't see ANY rotoflex at stoneleigh, but then again I wasn't looking too hard. Maybe Nick has been buying it all up!

Anybody wants wishbones, you can have them for the price of postage..... I got more than I need.  Also original shafts and hubs.  None of the dealers want them, even for free.

There were no rotoflex rear ends at Stoneleigh that I saw.... would have bought....

Rotoflex on ebay is very variable.  Best price was £16 fo a very decent pair.  Worst, £ 73 for a crap pair that turned out not even to be a pair  >:(  Terryman 2 may you rot in hell......  £ 40.99 per pair would be a very fair price!

I'm wondering why I didn't haggle for a 3.27 diff Clive..... I've only got a 2L and the car feels like it could pull another gear........ want a 3.45 Subaru really but can't be arsed to fit it.

What side do you have Clive? I have an orphaned one (RH I think) already machined due to the antics or the above mentioned ebay seller and a bit of personal muppetry :B

Another batch of VLs and adaptors in production.

Cheers

Nick

Sshhhh! Now they'll all bloody want them! ::)

If anybody would like a pair of VLs with some mods to the lower end (would maybe suit non-standard wishbone arrangements), then I have some.  Not machined at the moment so could be had suitable for standard or R100 bearings.  Photos on request.

Nick

Anybody have a MGF short shaft they could loan me, need to see if it will give a wide enough track with the Subaru diff.

I think I have one Mike (fully assembled). I'll check tomorrow.  Location not so handy though (Somerset) you should have asked a week ago :).  Do you want something longer or shorter than the R100?  R100 auto is slightly shorter.  Have you discovered whether the R100/MGF tripod would go in the Subaru pot?

Nick