You won't regret the carb spacer, sorry about the mess, I always use a portable drill to pump the oil as its more controllable than a mains one, I also put an O ring around the shaft so that its just on the dist pedestal and put a lump of rag around the shaft into the pedestal to prevent an overflow.
That really is looking nice though!
Some more work on the Vitesse after the successfull 10CR.
Fitted both sets and the seatbelts
A special request from Alan, carb spacer to help them stay cool
Made a mess while getting oil up to pressure with the hand drill
AND tried to start the engine .... which was net yet successfull. Will fetch NEW Bosch sparkplugs tomorrow and try again.
Timing is definitely right now and we have fuel in the carbs.
One thing we noticed is that the high torque starter motor seems to turn over way slower then a standard one !?
It's PU glue isn't it? I've heard many good things about it.
My top tip with fibreglass gelcoat or epoxy repairs is to use plastic (acetate) sheet and/or tape to cover the repair. Essentially making part of a mould.
Works like you did with the plastic bag, but as it's got a bit more structure it allows better filling of concave sections. Saves a load of sanding and polishing after the job.
Your experience with the "professionals" would seem to be more positive than some! I can't really comment as I've only used them for getting screens replaced on moderns and they've all been bonded.
Until the Spitfire issues I've never had a problem fitting screens and I've done a reasonable number. I've even removed and refitted a laminate screen successfully (in a scrapyard!) though I did cut the old seal to get it out.
Fitting the trim strips is a different story though........ That usually seems to involve development of special tools, exotic techniques, lots of cussing and sore fingers!
The one thing that old age has taught me is never fit windscreens! Apart from the absolute pain and time, and the real risk of breaking a laminate, I have discovered that the £60 it costs to get a professional to do it not only saves me half a day, but also they make it look easy with all the right tools, and they also guarantee against leeks and will come back and fix, which as we know with Triumph screens is almost an odds on certainty.
Windscreens and windscreen seals....... We wasted some serious time with the Spitfire - that was crappy incorrect seals - you may remember.
Never even tried to fit the finisher strips - he preferred it black. Have to trial-fit a windscreen in the GT6 as we've been messing (repairing) the screen surround. I bought another seal from COH Baines as that worked in the Spitfire.
Old age..... not yet mate, but it's creeping up. Some days it's tapping you on the shoulder........
I filled the gap wth a foam sponge cord.
Yesterday evening I inserted the Chrome finisher. It was a sod. I needed THREE hours to get it into the rubber seal.
With the feet on the bulkhead, knee pressing a cork block against the finisher and mm by mm opening the groove in the rubber seal with a screwdriver then pushing the finisher in.
I was soaked with sweat. All my fingers are aching today.
Getting old. No not getting, I am.