48 replies to this topic

#41 oldtuckunder

oldtuckunder

Fast Driver!

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:59 PM

Hi Roger

If you want a spare head to test with, there is one here sat in one of the stores, apart that's it a 1500 head thats all I know. If you want to pick it up your welcome.

Alan

PS. I don't think any of the 2/2.5ltr heads have the step opposite the plug, I think its only there on the 1500 to fit the larger inlet valve.

#42 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:52 PM

If by "step opposite the plug" you mean the squish platform, DON'T get rid of it!  Squish is GOOD!  Squish promotes turbulence which promotes a fast, complete burn.  On the sixes the sqush platform opposite the plug has a sloping ramp with means that the more the head is skimmed, the more squish area you get, so the shallower 2L head (not the domed piston version) has much bigger squish platform than the 2.5, which is one reason why the 2L will typically run a higher CR without pinking and run leaner without ill effects compared to a 2.5.

This is an interesting website / idea

https://somender-singh.com/

Nick

#43 JohnD

JohnD

Loves monkeying with his car

• Supporter!
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

Roger,

Sorry, slow to reply, and Nick is ahead.    No, the squish area is retained on my heads.   I follow Vizard, who as Nick says, emphasises tyhe importance of squish.

Modern engines extend this, by inducing either turbulence/tumble  by squish, for power, or swirl by intake valve design to induce a stratified charge that will ignite very lean mixtures, for economy.

There's a lot of ideas here, but sad to say, few applicable to our engines, which are designs from seventy years ago.

John

Edited by JohnD, 14 August 2017 - 08:19 AM.

#44 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

Hello John & Nick

I do not mean the squish platform but the bit arrowed

Roger

Attached Images

• DSC04699.JPG

#45 JohnD

JohnD

Loves monkeying with his car

• Supporter!
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:02 AM

That's a difference between the four and six cylinder Triumph engine's combustion chambers.

In the latter the edge away from the plug hole  goes straight across, no indent at the inlet valve.

What's more difficult to see in my pic (Post 35) is the slope into the chamber, unlike the Spitfire.

John

#46 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

To what purpose Roger?

Nick

#47 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

To what purpose Roger?

Nick

Hello Nick

I do not know(gas flow?)

I can not remember where I read the article that said removed that step but I did it on the head in the car now(but it was a 1300cc head and I needed a bit more capacity in the head to get the compression ratio down to 9.5 to 1)

Roger

#48 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

Hello All

I have answered my own question(leave it in) as both these sites show.

http://www.mg-cars.o...ess/page17.html

http://auskellian.co...d_Flow_the_Head

Roger

ps there is a lot of mis information out there?

#49 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:05 PM

Hi Roger

If you want a spare head to test with, there is one here sat in one of the stores, apart that's it a 1500 head thats all I know. If you want to pick it up your welcome.

Alan

PS. I don't think any of the 2/2.5ltr heads have the step opposite the plug, I think its only there on the 1500 to fit the larger inlet valve.

Hello Alan

Thanks for the offer but I have 4 heads including the one on the car and I will practice on one with a very badly burnt valve seat before I have a go at my NOS one.

Roger

ps the first power feed did not work to high geared but I will add another gearbox to lower the ratio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users