• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oldtuckunder

oldtuckunder

Fast Driver!

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

Just finishing the competition bonnet, and found some cheap plastic headlamp bowls to replace the rust metal ones, and also save a couple of pounds!  Just been testing the old sealed beam units and as usual have a main and dip/main pair that are OK and a pair that are dead, so as I need some lights I'll buy a full set, the current models apart from having replaceable bulbs are lighter anyway most having metallised plastic reflectors, and are cheap at around £40 a set of 4.  However all the ones I can find at the moment have glass lenses, and I remember finding some a few months back that had plastic lenses, but of course can't find them again now!

Anyone any idea who does them, I think they fell into the cheap as chips category as glass is preferred as it doesn't scratch, but on a comp bonnet might be ideal.

Alan 

#2 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:11 PM

Is it the "Crystal" brand with the clear lenses?

Nick

#3 oldtuckunder

oldtuckunder

Fast Driver!

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:43 PM

Not sure "Crystal" seems to be this years In Word for headlights, everybody seems to be using it as part of the description, not sure but I think Crystal should mean the focusing/beam pattern is done by the reflector not the the lens, but as a term Crystal seems to be being used to cover anything!

Also think the problem may be that those advertising Glass lenses feature it as a benefit over plastic, whereas those selling plastic lenses may be keeping quite in case its seen as detrimental, whereas I currently would see it as a benefit!

Alan

#4 oldtuckunder

oldtuckunder

Fast Driver!

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

OK looks like the hunt for polycarbonate lens light units was a dead end, Apparently WIPAC started producing them a few years ago, but then they were withdrawn and are now only available for LHD vehicles! What I had seen were people selling off old stock but looks like they are all gone now. Shame Polycarbonate Lenses made sense for competition use.

Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users