Plastic Lens 5 3/4" Headlamps

oldtuckunder

Just finishing the competition bonnet, and found some cheap plastic headlamp bowls to replace the rust metal ones, and also save a couple of pounds!  Just been testing the old sealed beam units and as usual have a main and dip/main pair that are OK and a pair that are dead, so as I need some lights I'll buy a full set, the current models apart from having replaceable bulbs are lighter anyway most having metallised plastic reflectors, and are cheap at around £40 a set of 4.  However all the ones I can find at the moment have glass lenses, and I remember finding some a few months back that had plastic lenses, but of course can't find them again now!

Anyone any idea who does them, I think they fell into the cheap as chips category as glass is preferred as it doesn't scratch, but on a comp bonnet might be ideal.

Alan 

Not sure "Crystal" seems to be this years In Word for headlights, everybody seems to be using it as part of the description, not sure but I think Crystal should mean the focusing/beam pattern is done by the reflector not the the lens, but as a term Crystal seems to be being used to cover anything!

Also think the problem may be that those advertising Glass lenses feature it as a benefit over plastic, whereas those selling plastic lenses may be keeping quite in case its seen as detrimental, whereas I currently would see it as a benefit!

Alan

OK looks like the hunt for polycarbonate lens light units was a dead end, Apparently WIPAC started producing them a few years ago, but then they were withdrawn and are now only available for LHD vehicles! What I had seen were people selling off old stock but looks like they are all gone now. Shame Polycarbonate Lenses made sense for competition use.

Alan