• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:24 AM

With Chris's Spitfire more or less done and in daily use, thought's move on to the GT6 that has been lurking in our car port for several months.

This car came from Dan Kelly who had stripped the body and made a start on the welding, but had taken the difficult decision to move it on having found that life was getting in the way!  Thanks for the opportunity Dan!

It is an early-ish GT6 Mk3, with rotoflex, in white.  It was last on the road in about 1990.  It's "medium crusty".

P1160082s.jpg

P1160085s.jpg

Good parts:

- The main tub is not that bad rust-wise.  Most of the floors are there and even most of the sills with only a couple of minor patches.  Drivers side (RH) will need a sill for sure.  Passenger side, maybe not, though it will need a strip of floor.

- It seems very complete and has overdrive

- Chassis seems ok though covered in underseal.  Looks like hinge boxes have been replace before.

- Tailgate good

Less good:

- Usual Mk3 grot at the front of the roof

- Screen pillars also have been quite bad though Dan has already had a good go at these

- Most worrying is evidence of rear-end impact damage and fairly untalented repair at some point in the fairly distant past.

P1160089s.jpg

- 2000 saloon engine fitted according to engine no. and hacked off mounts on front plate.

- Doors horribly rusty

- Bonnet pretty rusty

First job is to bolt the tub back on and get everything lined up and fitting properly so we can brace for sill and floor repairs

Much more to come....

Nick

#2 Martin

Martin

Fast Driver!

• Supporter!
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:10 PM

Hi Nick,

OCD?

#3 Martin

Martin

Fast Driver!

• Supporter!
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

Welcome, me too

Attached Images

• 8HP.jpeg

#4 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:29 PM

But you haven't finished the Vitesse estate yet.......?  Or did I miss something?  :P

I've got one of those too - not so old but it leaks oil like an old Audi (MUCH worse than an old Triumph!).  So I was trying to fix the rocker cover gasket so I could actually cut the grass with it without all the oil escaping.  Rocker cover gasket only available as part of a head set - which costs more than the head set for a Triumph.......  Not even Honda, just a nasty Chinese (or American) copy of one.  Fixed (I hope) by throwing the gasket away and using good quality silicone.

Nick

#5 Mark

Mark

Fast Driver!

• Supporter!
  • 329 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

Got the basis of a great car there!
Look forward to the rebuild.

Mark

Edited by Mark, 13 June 2017 - 08:57 AM.

#6 GT6MK3

GT6MK3

HotRod Nerd!

• Administrators
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:21 PM

Nice!

I look foward to seeing everything done to this that I should get on and do to mine...

C

#7 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:25 PM

Today's disappointment is finding more evidence of accident damage on the right hand side which includes a newer front wing (poorly fitted), sill (wrong shape, lots of filler and a bent main chassis rail at the point where the RH lower wishbone rear mount is.   Would possibly straighten, but prefer to find another chassis I think.....  Not the end of the world at this point.

Initial build will probably be fairly standard though final engine and transmission spec might well depend on how knackered they are now!  I do have another W58 in stock though not sure I can be bothered to create another bellhousing.

Nick

#8 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:09 PM

We knew the front edge of the roof/screen surround was ugly......

P1150285s.jpg

P1150286s.jpg

But perhaps not how ugly the screen surround itself was.....

P1160108s.jpg

unholy mix of braze, random repair sections and filler, thickly applied.

Coming off

P1160112s.jpg

P1160114s.jpg

Really ugly!

Donor victim being sized up

P1160106s.jpg

Donor section being stitched in.  There will be no lip.  Difficult to replicate and creator of drag, wind-noise and a rot-trap.

P1160115s.jpg

Been looking closer at the rear end of the tub too, above the light panel. Oh man........!

Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users