84 replies to this topic

#1 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

Hello All

We are off on another jolly to foreign parts on Tuesday at some unearthly hour!

Spitty,s EFI is quite well sorted now and 2000+ miles covered(Isle of Wight and Classic Spa) and she has been on the rolling road!

So she is game for anything now!

This is the route we are taking give or take a bit(we like to find the mountain and back roads)

Spitty  goes to Spain and Portugal  June 2017  

Tues 13th     Leave home early to catch 08.45 ferry from Portsmouth   155mls

Wed 14th     Dock at Bilbao at 14.15 - drive to “Casa Rural Ofelia” San Martin de Luina (S)209mls

Thurs 15th    Drive to “Hotel Rey Fernando” at Santiago de Compostela (S) 170mls

Fri 16th        Day at Santiago and another night at “Hotel Rey Fernando” (S)

Sat 17th        Drive to A Guarda “Hotel Brisanar” (S)  85mls

Sun 18th       Drive to Canicada-Soengas  - hotel “Quinta de Bento” (P) 115mls

Mon 19th      Drive to Coimbra “Hotel de Luis” (P) 138mls

Tues 20th     Day at Coimbra & another night at “Hotel de Luis”

Wed 21st      Drive to Sao Martinho de Porto – hotel “Santa Antonio da Baia” (P) 80ml

Thurs 22nd   Drive to Estremoz – hotel “Pateo dos Solares Charm Hotel” (P) 120mls

Fri 23rd        Drive to Salvador Monsanto – hotel “Quinta da Mina” (P) 100mls

Sat 24th       Drive to Almeida – hotel “Casa Morgado” (P) 60mls

Sun 25th      Drive to Braganca – “Hotel Tic Tac” (P) 116mls

Mon 26th     Drive to Boca de Huergano – hotel “Tierra de la Reina” (S) 170mls

Tues 27th    Drive to Arroyal – hotel “Posada los Carabeos” (S) 90mls

Wed 28th     Leave Bilbao on 17.15 ferry 95mls

Thurs 29th    Arrive Portsmouth at 20.45 – home late   155mls

Total Mileage Approximately 1860 but will probably be near 2000mls

So wish us luck? any way could go wrong? and we are not in a war zone.

Just use our cars for what they were intended!

I will try and post photo,s again of the trip, I am taking the laptop this time in case I need to poke about in Spitty,s EFI(not been tested up mountains yet so Barometric calibration could be wrong)

Does it sound as though I know what I am talking about? tongue.png

Roger

Attached Images

• P1030160.JPG

#2 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

I'm sure it will be fine.  Have fun!

Nick

#3 zetecspit

zetecspit

Hot Shoe!

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:54 PM

Was the VW pic taken at Spa? We saw it there.....

Enjoy your hols!

#4 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

Was the VW pic taken at Spa? We saw it there.....

Enjoy your hols!

Hello

yes and I missed you there

Roger

#5 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

I'm sure it will be fine.  Have fun!

Nick

Hello Nick

What could possibly go wrong?(the boat could sink!)

Spitty will be fine She rise to the challenge! as do me and the memsahib

Ready to go now ! I am like a kid in a sweet shop!

Roger

ps will post photo,s to encourage or wind you up?

#6 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

That's fair trek.  Look forward to the pics  :)

Nick

#7 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:03 AM

Hello All

We are at Santiago de Compostela

But we have problem with the car? yesterday was a bad day as a noise appeared from the rear and after much jacking up and look etc I think it is the nearside rear wheel bearing going to take the wheel and drum off today as we are in a garage car park so nice and firm and level.

We have cancelled all bookings for now until we no if we can carry on or be recovered

But to put it into context the wife heard an old friends big C has come back bad! this is just an old car on a jolly/1

Roger

#8 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:35 AM

Oh.... sorry to hear that.  Can be difficult to diagnose for sure as the layout makes testing for play very difficult. What sort of noise? Does it get hot?

Saw one once on a Herald that had worn its way right through the  round part of the  bearing housing and was working it's way up through the  flange and backplate.  Owner complaint was about odd behaviour from the brakes..... caused (as it turned out) by near total disintegration of the shoes on that side..... nothing was said about noise.  It's possible she was hard of hearing......

There are those who maintain that no long distance trip in a small chassis Triumph should be undertaken without a spare driveshaft assembly in the boot.  Not sure how you guess which side will be needed!

Good luck - hoping it's something trivial and you can proceed!

Nick

#9 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

Hello Nick

Had the wheel and drum off and sure it is the bearing as evidence of getting hot.

Thinking of trying to buy a grease gun and giving it a few shots every 30miles so it does not run dry? and keeping speed down and heading back.

What do you think? how fast do they fail?

Roger

#10 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

It depends...... (sorry, not very helpful I know)

This is why I asked about the heat.  If just noisy (droning) but no excess heat then they can go on for quite a while.  However, once they start getting hot it's pretty much game over IMO as the heat indicates fairly severe problems and leads to further damage in a positive feedback situation.  Do you grease them fairly regularly?  If problems were due to insufficient lube initially then adding some might help (though damage likely already done) but if you feel that it was properly lubed to start with then adding more now is unlikely to have much effect IMO.

Spitty situation complicated by the bizarre combination of the outer ball race and inner needle rollers running directly on the shaft.

Maybe you can persuade Canleys or someone to express you an assembled shaft for a carpark (or local garage) swap?  Dunno about local support - suspect Triumphs (non-TRs anyway) are pretty rare in north west Spain though I note there is a Portuguese club.

Good luck!

Nick

#11 mossmonaco

mossmonaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:31 AM

My brother lives in Oviedo, approx 120miles away, if you need somewhere for delivery of a shaft and some tools I'm sure he would be happy to help.

#12 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

Hello All

Well had the wheel etc off nothing to see but feels a bit rough.

I have managed to buy a grease gun and grease in the middle of Santiago de Compostela can you believe that? that,s 5 I have now!!!

So the plan is now to make our way to Lugo about 60mls away and stay 2 nights and review the situation.

I have given Spitty 6 to 8 shots of grease into the bearing(I know it will not make it better but I know it is well greased and not running dry) I will stop on way and give her another shot

We are determined to make the best of it that we can(Stiff Upper Lip and all that!)

So wish us luck(I am just going to lay my hands on the door of the Cathedral that all the pilgrims trek to!)  so that should do it?

Roger

Attached Images

• DSC04221.JPG

#13 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:25 PM

My brother lives in Oviedo, approx 120miles away, if you need somewhere for delivery of a shaft and some tools I'm sure he would be happy to help.

Hello Mossmonaco

That is a great offer it is probably to late to get a part couriered today so Monday would be earliest and would have to get in touch with the chap who advertises in the TSSC mag

But could have by Wednesday? so could be a good plan.

Can you ask him and get his address for me please

Roger

#14 oldtuckunder

oldtuckunder

Fast Driver!

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:18 PM

If its a 1500 long shaft, I have  complete assemblies on the floor in the garage I took off a car a couple of weeks ago, should be ready to fit, well you may want to fit your slave cylinder brake shoes.

Happy to throw in a box and ship (if somewhere to ship to) (we can sort out after you return). Its Saturday tomorrow so not sure if I can do via a post office, or if any of the big couriers collect on Saturday.

Just let me know and I'll find out.

Alan

#15 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

Hello MossMonaco

I am afraid it is a non starter Richard Briscoe does not have any core stock to build up or any new ones.

I am not sure about all the big suppliers? but it is all getting a bit complicated?

But we gave it a good try so thank,s for the offer

So the plan now is to limp hopefully to Lugo for 2 nights and perhaps get the car recovered from there!

Roger

Attached Images

• DSC04237.JPG
  • DSC04241.JPG

#16 triumphlux

triumphlux

Hot Shoe!

• Supporter!
  • 846 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:24 PM

Ah those driveshafts .....

It's excactly as Nick says, if they don't get too hot when greased every 60 miles then they will last fairly long.

And you got Alan's offer :yes:

#17 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

If its a 1500 long shaft, I have  complete assemblies on the floor in the garage I took off a car a couple of weeks ago, should be ready to fit, well you may want to fit your slave cylinder brake shoes.

Happy to throw in a box and ship (if somewhere to ship to) (we can sort out after you return). Its Saturday tomorrow so not sure if I can do via a post office, or if any of the big couriers collect on Saturday.

Alan

Hello Alan

That would be great I it could be shipped on monday may have it by wed/thurs

I do not have an address yet but it would be to Oviedo in Spain to Mossmonaco,s brother

If you could ask couriers for quote/timescale?

I will email him as I said there was non available to find address

Many thanks

Roger

Roger

#18 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:58 PM

Hello you have pm

Roger

#19 rogerguzzi

rogerguzzi

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:19 PM

Alan

Hello Alan

I have just remembered I would need a set of wheel nuts if they are 3/8" as I have upgraded to 12mm Freelander ones I think they would fit ok as the wheels are minilite type so angle is the same?

Roger

#20 oldtuckunder

oldtuckunder

Fast Driver!

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:34 PM

Ok did some digging, nothing leaves anywhere until Monday, I can drop off tomorrow but its isn't going to move until Monday, so we have a day or so to organise.

Looks like UPS or TNT are the best candidates for Spain, quicker than Parcelforce and a lot cheaper,  Don't have exact price but express to Spain 1-2 days looks to be around £60, on a guestimate 15kg and 600x300x300 parcel.

Wheels nuts no problem! 

PM me an address by end of tomorrow, and I'll pack and sort courier for Monday

Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users