• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dazman1360

Dazman1360

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:18 PM

Occasionally (though twice today) my Herald just cuts out, I look down and the ignition lights are on but I'm coasting to a stop, on most occasions the car restarts fine and I carry on. This seems to have become more frequent since I switched to EFI, though my gut feeling tells me that's just a coincidence. I had something similar when I was running Megajolt & Carbs a couple of years ago, the starter seemed sluggish afterwards on those occasions, so I added an additional earth lead from the engine to where the battery earth connected to the body, this seemed to fix it that time round. 

Until a couple of weeks ago I had one of those dis-car-nect jobbies on the battery earth terminal and each time it happened the small bypass fuse blew. Thinking this might be the issues I removed it and went back to an earth lead direct to the body, but I have had the issue again today, so can't be that. 

One thing that does happen every time is that I lose all the presets on the radio, which says to me that there is a complete momentary loss of electrics rather than an ECU glitch or loss of power to the ECU, Pump Or Injectors etc.

I have an alternative battery I can borrow for a while, so I will see if that helps. But before I start checking connections & wiring anyone else had something similar?

Darren

#2 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

It does sound like a complete loss of connection to the battery - though the interesting thing is that as the engine is running alternator power ought to keep it going.

I can't picture the exact wiring layout on a 13/60 but suspect you ought to be looking somewhere like where the big brown wires attach to the solenoid or where the original regulator box was bypassed.

Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users