#1 rustbuckit2011

rustbuckit2011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:11 PM

Gday guys,
Would anyone happen to know the length of the bare short side axle for a rover 100?
And mgf bare short side axle would probably be handy too. I am looking to devote a bit of time to finding an alternative axle for subaru diff rotoflex conversions. Cheers

#2 zetecspit

zetecspit

Hot Shoe!

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

I don't have the sizes. However, I have a subaru diff in my car, and the Rover 100 shafts I had fitted using Nicks CV conversion are working just fine.

The shafts sit the contact inside the CV pretty central. However, the Karl Dandridge shafts are 20mm longer. 

The MGF shafts won't fit, too short IIRC when I had some to compare.

#3 rustbuckit2011

rustbuckit2011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

I'm looking as rover 100's do not really exist in this part of the world (nor now do they aywhere else I guess) I am hoping to find something from a Japanese import that will fill the void. The inner race of my subaru inner joints are 21 spline- there are a few nissan's and mazda's which have the same spline and/or and use tripod joints of the same size. I'm hoping to be able to find the right parts to mix and match to make up a custom cv from easy to find used parts. Nissan March/Micra short axles are looking good. They have the right spline, outer cv uses a 68mm wheel bearing. Toyota starlet is similar, but with a different inner spline.

Problem is I don't want to go having to pull and buy heaps of axles to find the right length. I know the rover ones fit with suby diff, so if I can find the measurement I can narrow down the lengths of the shafts I have to buy to try out to give or take 10mm. I am sure there is something out there dead common that will work, it's just a case of looking through it.

#4 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

I have posted pictures of the various Rover shafts with markings and dimensions.......

R100 manual

R100 Auto

MGF

........ before.  Of course I can't find the picture right now.

I can find this

CV shafts 004m.jpg

FYI Ford Focus and some Fiesta outer CVs fit the Rover hub spline.  The Focus driveshaft is too long by some margin. Fiesta may be better but not yet managed to lay hands on one.

The hubs from may FWD cars are very similar and would offer different spline choices.  Some would probably need a different bearing to suit the spigot diameter and apart from the R100, MGF, Montego and Maestro, all will have a different wheel stud PCD.

Nick

#5 rustbuckit2011

rustbuckit2011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:47 AM

Thanks Nick- yes I am sure you have posted before but I cant find them- Ive scoured the site but I think it must have been before the website change, so may well be lost. I am not too concerned with pcd as I run a 4x100 front. I think I am looking for shafts 480-500mm in length with an inner spline of 21, 23 or something that uses the same size inner joint cup as the suby. Nissans use the same (or similar) hitachi diffs, so I am hopeful part sharing extended to cv's. How hard can it be right?.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users