11 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

Mark

Fast Driver!

• Supporter!
  • 332 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:20 PM

Hi all

Something I am starting to think about whilst getting the Vitesse back to gether is sound insulation. I remember there was originally loads of it when stripping the car down years ago. i think it was Kapok wrapped in black polythene and shaped to fit in all the cavities. I did hang on to it for years but as some of it was disintegrating I bined the lot, and at the time thought when the time came I could get a modern alternative. I don't want go use Dynomat and was thinking along the lines of rockwall or similar products from Wickes etc, cut to shape and wrapped in black plastic as per original. I think this will be a cheaper effective option, whats your thoughts?

Mark 

#2 motov8id

motov8id

Fast Driver!

• Supporter!
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:12 AM

I used a closed cell foam with a heavy vinyl top similar to this http://cascadeaudio....trol/vb_45.html   I was installing new floors and carpet and added this product from the bulkhead to the rear bumper and it did a good job of quieting the car. Over the trans cover and in the doors  I used the closed cell foam w/o the vinyl backing because of the irregular shape., Negatives: weight and cost

Edited by motov8id, 03 April 2017 - 06:27 AM.

#3 Sprint95m

Sprint95m

Just passed my test!

• Supporter!
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:54 PM

Sorry cannot give a definitive answer, but this is a subject I have been thinking a little bit about.

The kit car industry has some very lightweight solutions amongst the various options available….

Insulation - Car Builder Solutions - Kit Car Parts and Accessories

Carpet and Matting - Car Builder Solutions - Kit Car Parts and Accessories

I have a roll of the lightweight carpet but haven't tried it yet for sound deadening

but am impressed enough by its low weight to think this option is worth consideration.

Ian.

#4 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

ISTR that we discussed some pretty impressive sound/heat insulator material on this very forum a few years back, initially on the shoutbox before I posted a link in a thread in the hope that it might be findable again later........  Of course, I can't find it now...... :wallbash:   There may have been some connection with an Australian Citroen DS enthusiast (or I may be loosing the plot) and it may even be an Australian product.

Nick

#5 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

Found it :banana: (well, Google found it tbh :whistling:  ), the combination of Citroen and Australia was the charm, even if I miss-remembered the DS bit....

http://www.shanescit...insulation.html  (Shane seems like our kind of nutter!)

http://www.lobucrod.com/

Finding it on the bloody Island could be tricky though.

Nick

#6 Sprint95m

Sprint95m

Just passed my test!

• Supporter!
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

Yes, now this is very interesting Nick and,

since, they do international shipping,

definitely one to consider……….

Thanks for taking the time to find the links.

Ian.

#7 CHRIS211083

CHRIS211083

World Champion!

• Supporter!
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

I used Dynamatt, Great stuff easy to use and does the job very well.

Chris.

#8 Sprint95m

Sprint95m

Just passed my test!

• Supporter!
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

A single 1.2m x 0.6m (1.7mm thick) sheet of Dynamatt weighs 2 kg.

That is not out of the way because used in conjunction CBS carpet will give a comparable total weight to the normal Triumph carpet.

Food for thought.

Ian.

#9 Mark

Mark

Fast Driver!

• Supporter!
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:24 PM

Hi all

Thanks for all the suggestions, lots to think about.

Mark

#10 Sprint95m

Sprint95m

Just passed my test!

• Supporter!
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:30 AM

A single 1.2m x 0.6m (1.7mm thick) sheet of Dynamatt weighs 2 kg.

That is not out of the way because used in conjunction CBS carpet will give a comparable total weight to the normal Triumph carpet.

Food for thought.

Ian.

Further to this comment,

I have discovered that there is a 30% lighter version called Dynamat Superlite.

It costs about 20% more.

Ian.

#11 Mark

Mark

Fast Driver!

• Supporter!
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:45 AM

Hi all

Decided to try Earthwool Acoustic 50mm roll from Wickes. 13 metres way to much and probably enough to insulate several cars, but for £35 I thought I would give it a try. I am going to cut shaped sections to fit inside the panels, and now wish I hadn't dumped all the originals as could have used them as a template. I bought a heat sealer to seal the plastic that I intended rapping the Earthwool in.

I found one piece of the original deadening, and this piece is only covered on the outer face, tucked around the sides with a cotton backing which would have been stuck to the panel. I thought from memory that the pieces I removed were totally sealed in bags, but then it occurred to me that maybe it was done so that the sound is absorbed into the material. If I was to encapsulate it completely would the Earthwool be as effective? Not sure if it is just a matter of filling the void or if there is more to it.

Whats your thoughts?

Mark

#12 oldtuckunder

oldtuckunder

Fast Driver!

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:56 AM

I think a lot of the bags were fully sealed, however they still seemed to managed to attract and hold a lot of moisture!

Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users