Trolley Jack Chat

I have a weber. Not a cheap option, but they use them in some of the national tyre fitting chains, so expect good life.Plus it is very controllable.

http://www.weberuk.com/shop/standard-trolley-jacks/wdk20q/

Prior to that I had a sealey low entry jobbie. It was OK, but rather clunkier to use, especially the ability to bring a car down gently.

https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-354249/sealey-2500le-2-5tonne-low-entry-trolley-jack.html

the 2nd jack is approx half the price. Is the first worth the extra? Depends on the user I guess, it is a bit of a luxury....

I have two, namely a Draper 3 tonne (0.5 m lift) and a Ferm 2 tonne (0.8m lift).

The Draper one is not a bad bit of kit overall. It has decent wheels, spaced wide enough to make it stable.

The handle needs to be rotated to release the pressure for lowering, which can be a bit on/off if you are not used to it.

Also the saddle is quite high, even with the jack fully lowered, so I usually employ a scissors jack on the sill to gain the clearance

needed to be able to position the jack.

I only use the Ferm jack occasionally. It is not as stable as the Draper but being able to lift an extra 30cm was the reason I bought it.

It is long and narrow (and heavy too) making it sometimes a scutter to position satisfactorily.

If I had to lose one, I would keep the Draper.

My advice is to look at the jack before buying to assess the ease of operation and also consider the width, a wider wheel spacing being better.

The low access design is something I happily do without.

Ian.

I have two, 

A clarke 3 tonne profesional jack, its a beast, very good very strong and stable, but very big.

An Arcan 2 tonne alloy jack from Costco which is now my favourite, much more compact, lighter and very well built, but still as stable, bargain aswell at only £99

In an ideal world i'd like one with a foot pedal release as they have a bit more control, but they are all huge.

I learnt a very good lesson with trolley jacks, an old halfords one collapsed on me when its hydraulics went (yeah i should have had an axle stand) it was a very close call and a very good life lesson. The bigger the footprint the better as well for lifting a car, i've seen the thinner ones topple before, alhough i do borrow one occasionally to lift diffs etc.

Edited by mattius

I have a Clark ultra low profile. I bought one but only had it for six weeks and had it stolen. It was a great jack, and the family bought me another for my birthday. I have lowered cars and this being a long reach ultra low profile is ideal for the GT6, Vitesse and very low MX5. Only downside is that it's bulky and heavy.

Mark

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ctj1500qulp-ultra-low-profile-1-5t-quic/

Edited by Mark

Halfords jack I've had for 30 years.  Still works well and doesn't leak.  Has lived outside for weeks on end holding cars up.  Highly recommended.

Clark 3 ton.  Low(ish) saddle, low price.  Good as a second one, but does not return to the bottom unless you stand on it.

Recently used a Clark aluminium one.  Fantastic, very sexy!  Good for a quick wheel change.

None of the above are really stable, so it depends what you're after?  If you have to carry it about get the Al one.

... and your experience is a reminder to myself to never ever put any part of your body under the car until it has at least 2 (one backup) independant supports.

• 2 months later...

One is never enough...you need a normal one the a 2nd to do the other side, then a low jack then 2 more for the other side & rear, then some high lift ones, then all your jacks are on the other projects so need a couple more....oh the axle stands have to match too :-)

RedRooster,

I hope that you are joking.

NEVER .... EVER ... suspend a car on two jacks.   It will tip over!

You see the F1 teams jack the car from each end at once for a tyre swap, but they are using lever jacks, that engage in designed brackets on the car, are wider and only lift the car an inch or two, as there is so little droop in F1 suspension.

A better professional team to watch is a rally service, as rally cars are much more like a road car in terms of suspension travel and the the height they are lifted to for service.

EG 

Some teams will have two jacks, but that's just to save time and dragging a jack from end to end of a crowded and busy service area.    It's always, front up, axle or side stands in, back end up, ditto.  

NEVER jack both ends at once - sorry to be all H&S, but ...

JOhn

Thanks, RR, sounds better, but still, you need two people, one each side, who carefully coordinate their lift, or else the car will fall off one side.

Why do it that way?   One in the  centre is safer.

John

Edited by JohnD