Fed Up With Being Cold, Got A Green Caroportcoon For £150

Ok major engine strip about to commence and we all know that Jan thru Mar can quite often be the coldest months.

I'm fortunate that I have a lot of garage space, but because its inside a large barn, whilst it all stays dry it can be f cold, in fact many days it can be colder inside than it is outside, as everything chilled right down over night, and then there is no sun to warm it up during the day. The other problems this causes is that if the car is very cold from over night and we get a warm damp day then water condenses out on the car to the extent that it looks like its just been sprayed with a hose.

Now when I have the engine out, I can move it to a dry warmer workshop, but that still means a few days freezing my buns off.

So I had been pondering a caroport or carcoon for ages, but was put off by a few things, 1) The price I'd rather be buying bits for that sort of money, and 2) They are actually too small to work in.

So I thought I'd make one!

post-2759-0-37892700-1484178073_thumb.jpg

post-2759-0-76054500-1484178130_thumb.jpg

post-2759-0-56705700-1484178006_thumb.jpg

<<http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6m-Walk-In-Reinforced-Strong-Garden-Plant-Polytunnel-Poly-Tunnel-Greenhouse-/271979437829>>  £134

<<http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VonHaus-1500W-Portable-Electric-Ceramic-PTC-Eco-Office-Caravan-Fan-Heater-/302059947581>>£17

I decided that 5 x 3 Meters would be a good enough work space giving me about .75M workspace all around the car, so I just didn't connect in one of the 6 sections of the tunnel framework.

Took me about 1.5 hours in total to erect on my own.

I deliberately chose one with the clearest tint to the covering, and the flood lights in the barn seem to give adequate light inside.

As to keeping warm, I had the Vitesse fully up to temp when I drove it in and turned it off, I zipped up the doors and went for dinner. A couple of hours later I went back and was surprised that inside it was as warm as toast (well at least noticeably warm) and all the metal work was handleable in bare hands, and this from just the radiant heat from the cooling engine. So I'm hopeful that a very small heater is going to keep the chamber warm.

So at £151 and 1.5 hours labour I think I'm happy.

Alan