At Last

vitesse203

After 3 years of my wife owning an E36 BMW I have finally been able to talk to it. I had over the years tried various (cheap) software and tools and earlier on this year purchased from China another module and Carsoft software. At the first, second and more attempts no joy the software didn't seem to work and I'd almost given up until I found a site - Bimmerforums - which led me through the sofware install/re-install  procedure. On first connection it showed every module as having an error. I cleared all the error codes and now it only shows 1. Once I had translated from German it showed that the inlet camshaft position sensor was at fault. As it it a Vanos engine and relies on the sensor for cam timing I can guess that this may be the reason it seems to lack power and almost stalls sometimes. So need to change that and see if it makes a difference.

Paul

Good find.  Pretty much essential to be able to interview the engine management if you want to be able to fix stuff properly.

I have an early version of VAGCOM to talk to my A6 (and now Chris' Arosa) though the "crack" seems to have stopped working so it has reverted to the crippled freeware version.  Still better than nothing.

Nick

I use a Vgate 450 scan tool for Audi/VW/Seat which even talks to the heater and stereo. It will reset many things and can program service interval mileage/time (well I could until it went missing/stolen). Quite cheap and it also talks to some other makes though not with the same detail. I have a China clone of OP-com for Vauxhall so I can talk to our daughters Corsa. This also, like Carsoft, can show live data, which is quite useful, though OP-com shows more data and can be recorded.

Paul