Triumph Upgrade Interference Finally Finished

Millstone10

Well, I've finally finished my loudspeaker build project that took faaaaaaaar to long but I'm pretty pleased with the result. I'm now free to get on with the next GT6 project, the fresh air intake.

These mini monitors are a design by a guy called Jim Griffin using a pair of Jordan JX92 full range drivers I had from a previous project with a set of AC GS2i ribbons. The crossover is rolled off at about 3000hz with baffle step in a 11l box. I'm pretty impressed, especially with base response. These drivers are used in £3000 commercial speakers so should be good. They are finished in normal spray tin gloss black with lots of elbow grease and Mer polish. They also have a lining of acoustic foam on top of the sound deadening lining. It took a while but the WAF (wife approval factor) has succeeded in getting them into the living room - RESULT!

post-785-0-60961100-1383359999_thumb.jpg

Nigel

Superb! Look like high-end OEM product and a credit to your finishing skills! I always liked the look of those Jordan drivers - was just to mean to pay for them!

I built some tall, floor-standing transmission-line speakers about 15 years ago (used a full 8 x 4 sheet of 1" MDF in the process - loads of work) and we are still using them today. Followed up with a 15W class A amp (the JLH design) which is also still doing good service so yours should be paying you back for your efforts for years to come :)

Nick

Nice! Do you have the schematics?

Jim Griffin posted a good guide for them which was posted online so I guess is open source. I followed it quite closely for volume and front panel width but adjusted for 15mm ply and an internal baffle as I wanted to stiffen them a bit more. JX92S G2si DesignPak.pdf

There is quite alot more information out there on the net to. He did a second version as a transmission line that looks really tasty. Maybe is a few years time... (its taken me 3 years to finish these from first cutting the wood :no: )

I always liked the look of those Jordan drivers - was just to mean to pay for them!

Nick

I was feeling flush at the time and they were on offer from Wilslow Audio who don't do them any more. These were also made by Peerless which were supposed to be the better option as they were made a few manufacturers over the years.

Did something similar on a 1979 Bookshelf Loudspeaker

introduced by Jim Wilkinson with a KEF B200 and a Audax HD13 D34H

Weren't those drivers used for the Rogers BBC monitor? - Very nice!

Nigel

Yes, in former times in Germany and before the Internet

there was only poor information about British speakers,

transmisson line and especially the networks.

Was very happy to get informations about Rogers, IMF and later TDL.

My first project was the IMF RSPM copy with B139/B110 and HF1300/HF2000.

The original glue at the B139 turned more yellow each year

they are now 30 years old and the foam around is still doing very well!.

Later I took the Wilkinson project with the B200/HD13

and was so impressed from the AUDAX to copy that to the IMF.

Although they do not have the finish of yours

they got the WAF as well:

gallery_1431_55_20206.jpg

Jim Griffin posted a good guide for them which was posted online so I guess is open source. I followed it quite closely for volume and front panel width but adjusted for 15mm ply and an internal baffle as I wanted to stiffen them a bit more. JX92S G2si DesignPak.pdf

There is quite alot more information out there on the net to. He did a second version as a transmission line that looks really tasty. Maybe is a few years time... (its taken me 3 years to finish these from first cutting the wood :no: )

Thanks Nigel, seems the JX92 (& JX92S) drivers have been replaced by the Eikona I don't think they'll cause the design to be changed,

Thanks Nigel, seems the JX92 (& JX92S) drivers have been replaced by the Eikona I don't think they'll cause the design to be changed,

There's a pretty involved history behind the speakers, including one of Ted Jordan's engineers starting out on his own out of Japan producing Mark Audio Alpair drivers. The Alpairs are really well received and there are some really great designs for them while new designs for the Jordan's seem to have dropped off. The new design Eikona drivers are I believe due to a divorce and the wife getting the rights to the original JX92. :down:.

That IMF speaker build is very impressive - looks like a pretty complex transmission line.

Edited by Millstone10