Death Of A Slow Car

Gerard

Well, for all I've moaned about having a Citroën, they're bloody solid.

Sunday morning I got caught out by black ice on a bend. The road is notorious, lined with trees, twisty and with a very smooth surface.

I escaped with a broken hand, a cut face, a couple of burns, a bruised knee and an even more bruised ego.

Sad end to a practical and frugal car.

Shame I'm on the dole... there's no way I can afford to replace it for the time being.

post-677-0-58666300-1362499145_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-84258500-1362499148_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-76940400-1362499152_thumb.jpg

Bugger....... :blink: Glad you are approximately ok. Though I don't suppose a broken hand is particularly helpful to the musicianing.... :(

Time to get the spanners out for a bit of Berlingo breaking to fund it's replacement - or maybe find one with popped engine for transplant?

Does the Vitesse work - or are you walking? Don't suppose the broken hand helps driving either.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Nick

Yep, the rear passenger side door :P

I have a spiral fracture on the shaft of the fourth metacarpal bone, there's no rotation or dislocation so I should be free in about 4 weeks.

As for the wife, we're effectively separated and a divorce is looking likely.

Monkey pattern recognition: relationship breakdown, car accident, no job, broken hand, it's the year 2000 all over again!

I refuse to move back to the UK though (for less than 50 grand a year, at least) :wallbash:

Seen as how I'm seriously poverty stricken, I may get the Vitesse back on the road... any good MoT stations in Dover?

:pinch: Arrrgh..... So fate is giving you a good kicking all round then.

Real sorry to hear that.......

Not sure that trying to run an elderly Triumph will help the poverty situation.

Don't know about Dover garages I'm afraid. I try to avoid Dover except as a ferry port. My brother lived there for a while and the local garages lived in fear of his BX GTI 16v...... an impressive car when working, but not noted for it's reliability and a total sod to work on.

Look after yourself and watch out for falling pianos..... :wacko:

Nick

Indeed it is giving me a kicking, but that has been the case for most of the last 38 years...

Just thought that it'd be cheaper to get the new engined and gearboxèd Trump on the road than buying a 25 year old petrol Ford Mondeo with 957000 miles on the clock, especially with Belgian Tax (note the capital T), insurance, eco-punishment, new plate, extra tax, more tax and global tax on all the previous taxes. A 90's car doesn't really drink less either, just has a bigger fuel tank...

I'll just have to put up with the rain inside the car :yes:

I also use Dover exclusively as a ferry port :D

AFAIK it could be worse, tax wise that is, you could be living in Denmark.

I once bought petrol in Dover, away from the ferry access roads.

Were you alone in the car or is there someone you can blame for distracting you?

Cheers,

James

Ok..... so you are not a fan of the UK (fair enough, though it seems we eat more horse than we knew). Seems you are also no great fan of Belgium. So how is your Danish? Denmark seems to have both "cons" (wallet singeing taxes, healthy scepticism for EU) and "pros" (pretty girls, working infrastructure) at least. Also France, Switzerland (we know you can do that language!), Luxembourg, or if sticking with French speaking, quite a bit of North Africa or even West Africa..... where the weather conditions will be warmer and the infrastructure patchy at best...... Choices, choices......

Nick