Eco Trip: Paper Bricks And Loft Insulation

CHRIS211083

Hey Chris what you are doing looks fine to me and as it's your time and money your spending just crack on and if you have a load of land with trees that are not protected then thin them out. If you have no trees then keep making the bricks. Oh one of the things my mate burns in his log burner is the square blocks of pallets. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all just a quick update. I've now got the complete process of making these bricks down to 45mins. Here is my latest effort:

20120201_182622.jpg

Really getting the nack of this now. Tonight we are going to a friends place to see how long they burn for as we are beginning to amount too many bricks to store. Our stove still isn't here yet as we are waiting for the council to give us the thumbs up. However I'm now going to make the current brick maker much better and stronger as I'm sure I can squeeze more water from the bricks before being left to dry.

Chris.

Well the first burning didn't go as well as planned. My mate doesn't have a grill for the wood to sit on. Problem being that there was not enough air passing the bricks to make them fire but they did smoulder right through so heat was given off but only when I built them up did the higher ones burn properly. Need to look into the best ways of burning them.

Chris.

The wife works for the bank in the PR department. They buy every paper every day, they get a company to pick them up so zoe asked if she could take some. Basically an endless supply.

Its really hard to store them as they absorb water from the air so it needs to be warm were you put them but I think the real problem was the air flow.

Chris.

evaporating water in a living room is a simple but effective cooling machine. just in case you're asking yourself why its not getting warm in there. can cause mould/fungus too if you ramp up your production. you should get this wet stuff to the outside. or better, just produce there. then cover it by plasitcs, protected from rain.

harry

Hi all just a quick update. I've now got the complete process of making these bricks down to 45mins. Here is my latest effort:

20120201_182622.jpg

Really getting the nack of this now. Tonight we are going to a friends place to see how long they burn for as we are beginning to amount too many bricks to store. Our stove still isn't here yet as we are waiting for the council to give us the thumbs up. However I'm now going to make the current brick maker much better and stronger as I'm sure I can squeeze more water from the bricks before being left to dry.

Chris.

it's not question of temperature. it depends on relative humidity - and will take time, of course. but it's much cheaper and healthier too.

i don't think it will cause problems with 2-4 bricks a week. but if you start to have regulary 10-20 bricks in your living room, you'll run into bigger trouble after weeks if you do not raise the air exchange rate, by e.g. open the windows more often. and there goes the rest of the heat...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so i picked up a brick drying rack!!!!

20120206_213915.jpg

Its wasn't designed for this but dam does it do a good job. I might even buy another one just so I can add the shelves to this one.

Still no word on the stove and we are now looking at secondary glazing too in an attempt to raise the efficiency of our home to sell it quicker. Only time will tell.

Chris.