The mean spit

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She runs! had it out on the road today, just a quick nip round the block then a nip to the petrol station, its untaxed at the moment so only had it out for 3mins, but its sooo nice to have it back on the road.

Car wallows like mad, need to setup the suspension, brakes need re-bled again as they are a slight bit spongy and lots of tidying up to do inside the car.

But it runs! yay.

you name it i did it, block skimmed, head skimmed, us low compression pistons, tubular pushrods, mamoth big valved head, kent th5 duplex timining, doesnt have the webbers on yet as im saving up for the last few bits.

skimmed the block to get rid of the recessed gasket, to do this i had to lower the compression, hence the low compression pistons, this also altered the length of the pushrods so i went for chromealloy tubular ones which are lighter.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i finally got the head back on, had some issues with water pumps and plumbing and a leaking ewp cylinder head adapter.

I'll post a pic of the oil sometime, it was really bad.

But instantly i knew the whole engine was different, it wouldnt run at first, i had to totally re-adjust the carbs, then it did run and the tappets where a mile off in the center, then all of a sudden, it runs.

It runs smoother than it ever has, its quiet, it idles smoothly and accelerates lovely, i have severe water preasure now, before i could take the cap off the expansion tank, now its under lots of lovely preasure. Discovered a massive air leak from my servo which must have been there for ages and i didnt notice the engine was running that bad.

Anyway, im now dieing to get it out on the road to see the improvement, i've re-torqued the gasket and re-tuned the tappets so its ready to go, just need to sort a few wires out under the bonnet to re-connect the temp gauge and sort out the radiator wirring but thats only a couple of days work.

Here is the new front spoiler and splitter, twas my first attempt at fibreglassing so needs a heck of a good sand.

Decided to go ahead with a minimal version of the original plan, constructed out of alloy and fibreglass, its super strong, just needs to look a bit less bumpy :D

IMG_3410.JPG

overall shape is just what i wanted.

IMG_3411.JPG

only problem is what do i sand it with! angle grinder flap disk is too harsh, sander is not brutal enough, shape means most other tools are impossible.

grey is just a guide coat as it was 4 colours i couldnt see where to sand.

Finished shapping the spoiler and given it its paint job, as most will be pleased its now gun metal.

had a bit of a nightmare with the laquer, these metalic greys are extremely unforgiving, but i will sort that out later once it has been on the car.

looking good though.

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG

Good job Matt!

I really like it.

I have the go-ahead from the chief Scrut to have an airdam on my car as they were legal in 1970.  I have photographic evidence and they've already opened the barn door by allowing the Datsuns to run "spooks".

Ostensibly they were for "brake cooling" in the day ::)

Anyway, Kas reports they had to be six inches above ground to be legal.  Unfortunately his were too thin and flexible so they bent down to touch the track at speed directing all of the air around instead of under the car.  Shame about that , eh? 8) ;D 8)

Your's is very subtle and well thought out.  Not to mention nicely done, I hope I can do as well... :)

thanks for the comments guys.

problems with the paint is i always rush it, mainly cause i have no garage and so everything gets done outside but hey! this is just a tester anyway.

Still got to rivet the alloy base plate on properly, its just attached at the corners just now.

and there is still more of it to go under the car but its a good start. Im making up a large piece which will run from the splitter back to the sump. For a few reasons, mainly aero, secondly to keep the engine bay a bit cleaner and lastly my new EWP location places it low down in a clearing in the chassis making it susceptable (hmm speeling) to road rash so i wanna give it a little protection.