• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#381 triumphlux

triumphlux

Hot Shoe!

• Supporter!
  • 846 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

Received the brake caliper seals and compared them with the one I fitted a few years ago.

They are different in size, the old one is 3,25 mm wide/thick and the new one (from a german supplier) is only 3,00 mm :ermm: 

Checked the piston which is nicely machined and which did not cause the failure of the first seal.

Everything back together on the car, brake fluid, push the brake pedal a few times ....   and brake fluid drips out of the caliper again :wallbash: 

Looks like the car is scared to come out of the garage after so many years :P 

JC

#382 roulli

roulli

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:59 PM

Are they PB16 calipers?

If so, they 've been made with 2 different types of pistons/ piston-seals, hence the need to precise the required type, when ordering.

When it comes to Triumph brake hydraulics, I use to order at:

http://www.girling.de/index.html

Mr. Müller has been working for Girling DE before, he knows that stuff.

Or:

http://www.pastparts.co.uk/

or:

https://www.spitfirescheune.de/

Cheers,

Patrick

#383 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:40 PM

I've always thought that the main piston seals, which are just a square-section ring, were the same between all of the type 16 calipers with the differences being in the dust seals.  16P, no spring ring but a bastard to fit, 16PB & M16 have the spring ring and are easy to fit.

It's absolutely vital that the groove the main seal sits in is clean and rust free.  The bottom of it is angled and has a little extra groove on the fluid side.  It is this angle and the extra groove that cause the simple square section to work as a pressure-activated seal, but if there is any debris in there it stops it sitting right and causes problems. I use a scriber or small watch-menders screwdriver to clean the groove out.

You can buy the calipers new for £120-ish a pair these days, which means it's hardly worth overhauling them.

Nick

Forgot to ask before - which car for the 10CR?  Spit or Guy's 13/60?

#384 oldtuckunder

oldtuckunder

Fast Driver!

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

I had also thought this but a bit of digging reveals as always some varients.

I actually do rebuild the calipers as then I can buy the Stainless Steel pistons, which the new or recon ones don't have. And as the biggest culprit for failure always seems to be corrosion especially if not driven frequently it seemed a good choice to me.

However piston sizes.

Vitesse up to HC53394 & GT6 Mk1 GT6 MK2 up to KC5601977

Used 307976/307977 P Calipers with piston  510792 with 1.5mm groove

Vitesse from HC53394 

Used 307976/307977 P Calipers with piston 157685 with 5mm groove (note this is still the same P caliper which implies pistons interchangeable) 

GT6 from KC56078

Can/did use either 307976/307977 P Calipers or 311851/311852 PB Calipers  both of these use piston 157685

Late GT6 Mk3 and anything else so fitted (like my Vitesse by me)

PB Metric Caliper 159026/159027  use piston 157685.

Rimmers have a note that implies that the early 510792 piston with 1.5mm groove is 54mm diameter whereas the 157685 piston with 5mm groove is 57mm diameter.

Which is confusing given that on the Vitesse the same caliper 307976/7 is shown using both of these pistons, unless it implies that with the correct seals that the pistons are interchangeable.

Alan 

#385 roulli

roulli

Just passed my test!

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

Sorry for confusing, - Nick is right!

It's the dust seals, that came actually  in 2 versions

I wasn't aware of Alan's findings though..

However the all new calipers available these days, are said to be of low quality - at least the  smaller type 14 calipers , according to Spitfirescheune

I intended to buy them as well, when I switched to DOT5, but the dealer had just removed them from the list and is only offering refurbished calipers now.

I refurbished them myself, no leaks since and nice hard pedal feel.

Patrick

#386 triumphlux

triumphlux

Hot Shoe!

• Supporter!
  • 846 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

I have the piston with 1,5 mm groove and the dustseals without the springs.

The groove for the seal in the caliper is rustfree AND clean as you don't play around with brakes.

Its only one caliper which causes trouble, which makes me think that I have the correct parts combination. Fitting is fairly easy too.

@ Nick : we take Guy's Herald Estate which was our backup car from the beginning

@ Alan : Thank you for confusing us all :P 

#387 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

I bought a new pair of 16PBs for the Spit as we didn't have any to rebuild/exchange.  Fine so far - though hardly a long-term test yet.

Otherwise I have mainly dealt with 16Ps (I hate the dust covers) but I can confirm that it's possible to use the main seals from a PB kit in a P as I have done this with complete success.  I doubt that the P/PB/M have a different basic piston diameter - but I have no hard data.

Nick

#388 oldtuckunder

oldtuckunder

Fast Driver!

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:01 PM

I thought the Spit used type 14 calipers? are the 14 and 16 interchangeable? 

#389 Nick Jones

Nick Jones

Wise beyond his years.

• Administrators
  • 6,729 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:18 PM

They do - usually.  Ours has GT6 running gear front and rear.

Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users