Fisher Fury Blackbird

As alluded to by Dave somewhere else on this fine bit of cyberspace, Picked up my new toy today :o

OMG, what a barmy, barmy bit of kit...

I'm luck enough to have owned or driven a fair range of pretty interesting cars, S1 Elise 111S, Porsche 968 CS, silly 175bhp Dolly Sprint (owned), Ferrari 360 CS and a 550, plus a week in a Maser 4200 GT (driven) - but this thing is like nothing else.(rockon)

It weighs about as much as a wet fag packet, has a TTS tuned Blackbird engine in it (175bhp) and a violent sequential 'box from the same device. I've also got a Yam 1000 Exup, so I'm used to plenty of revs and silly top ends, but you can just ham fistedly whack the power on in this thing and slide up the road (wheels spin in third) whereas in the bike you've got skin and bone to worry about.

There are a few things that need sorting, the gearing is too violently short - 125 in top on the rev limiter, I think it would actually go even better if the gearing car the motor something to pull against - so If anyone's got a 3.1:1 Sierra diff or CWP I'm interested!

It could also benefit from some decent sticky tyres, atm they just can't keep up...

Anyway, lots to do, can't wait for a dry sunny day! 8)

Jim,

My friend (with the eventually to be 16v A30) sorted a Luego with this same gearing problem last year.  In that case there was a bit more to the battle (and there probably is on yours too) due the various different diff styles and ratios used in the Sierra (don't ask me, I slept through the lecture) but I do remember that it is one of the rarer diffs and used different driveshafts from the diff already installed.

Made a hell of a difference - the car was almost driveable afterwards........  didn't slow it down much though, what a scary thing it is!

Nick

Thanks Nick,

I had a chat with the guy from Fisher today who told me that getting a 3.38:1 would really help it, but they were difficult to find, he said that there was a 3.14:1 made but that they were basically impossible to get hold of and commanded silly money to the the demand from owners of bike engined cars.

20 minutes Googling and I have managed to find 3.14:1 for £195 delivered  ;D

A quick fiddle with the ratio calculator would suggest that should add 30 mph to the top speed - I have no doubt it will pull it (145mph). I also think that the acceleration shouldn't be too damged, atm it's silly, the wheels can hardly keep up with the engine revs in the lower gears, it's like sitting there revving a car in neutral.

Anyway, I will wait to fit it and find out - watch this space!

• 2 weeks later...

Had a drive today, in the Fury...Bit slick out, only a few miles...GOBS of go...Lovely solid wheel spin exiting corners...mad thing!

(thumbsup)(thumbsup)(thumbsup)(tounge)(punk)(punk)(smitten)(smitten)(clap)

Takes me back to the Grand Prix Legends days, excess of power in the conditions :) Nice to have too much power under your foot, stroking the pedals, modulation of throttle, manual traction control :P

Found some nice imitation Caterham seats Dave - might have to see if I can get them in on runners to suit the "shorter of leg"!

You could do some proper damage then. Gave it a good clean for the first time as well today, doesn't come up at all bad for gel coat. I'll get some photos on here tomorrow.