Wheel studs for Spitfire/GT6 etc

SteveA

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does the shank on the wheel nut have to reach through to the back of the wheel, ie. to the inner face of the wheel where it sits against the hub.

I'm struggling to find any long enough to go through my alleycat slots.

This is the size that I thnk in need ( unfortunately I only have 1)

I'm struggling to find any long enough to go through my alleycat slots.

This is the size that I thnk in need ( unfortunately I only have 1)

Look a bit like Sprint wheel nuts to me. 1.38" shank length are the longest I have seen so far, excluding Revolution wheel nuts. There are quite a few variations of wheel nuts on this page http://www.mistertee.co.uk/6.html

MagLugNuts4b.jpg

What is the story with wheel studs? I have seen a few pics over the years - but never seen one break in real life. What kind of driving makes them snap? Is it a racing problem, or is this a risk for the rest of us too? Are swing springed cars more liable to break - or has it something to do with the length of the shaft?

Slightly confused as you can tell.

Cheers

Nick

Smaller wheel studs tend to break due to so-called professionals using air-powered guns to tighten wheel nuts in tyre fitting centres.

Bigger equals stronger.

Dolomite Sprint studs are ideal, but the only supplier is Rimmers and their prices are just plain extortion.

I avoid them at all costs, due to previous very poor customer service issues.

If they treat me badly, then guess what!

L

I've had a couple snap when torqueing them up to the correct torque with a torque wrench!  

I've considered changing to the m12 studs, but I want a wheelnut that will allow me to continue to use the wheel centre cover - and preferably something i can scavange from a scrap yard! any ideas?

Jon

I've got a set of Land Rover wheel studs coming from the UK.

I've been looking at M12 x P1.5 wheel nuts, or lug nuts as they call them over here.

Considering the following:

The red ones; (in 4th photo), are steel, so I am leaning toward those alloy nuts intended for the Ford Probe, (3rd photo) - great price.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

(I will only use black, silver or red on my car)

Dave?

Regards

Léon

Edited by lordleonusa

It seems that if your revolutions are drilled for 9/16" shank nuts, the only thread size you can use is 3/8"

I might end up getting my Revolutions drilled out to suit the 11/16" shank nuts to go with the M12 studs.

I got a whole new set secondhand when I found this out :)

(they were better condition - and I sold my old ones for the same amount)

It seems that if your revolutions are drilled for 9/16" shank nuts, the only thread size you can use is 3/8"

I might end up getting my Revolutions drilled out to suit the 11/16" shank nuts to go with the M12 studs.

This is something I investigated a few months ago when I was made aware of it.

To my delight it seems more recent Revs have an 11/16th hole.

As mine do!

So I'll be getting some M12s probably, we are converting the A40 next week. See how that goes.